Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What card do you carry and why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What card do you carry and why?

I carry all my cards and I have 9. On top of credit cards i have bank debit cards, insurance cards and gift cards. My wallet is massive and takes up most of the space in my bag so I probably need to put some away. I really only use the Amex Hilton for the 100k points which I just received. The Discover It for the 5% categories. And the Chase Amazon card for the 5% on Amazon and now utilities too. The rest I just carry around. This post has me rethinking that and I think I'll put some away.
Message 41 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea you definitely should put some away. I wouldn’t carry the Amazon since you only use it on Amazon purchases+Utilities. I would only carry your day to day cards and rotate the situational 5% cards as fit.

I currently carry 6 cards. I carry 2 cards that I have a 0% purchases apr. This is for large purchases that I can’t pay right away. The other 4 cards are typical daily transactions: Food, grocery’s; gas and non category spend.
Message 42 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I carry 4 cards, first 3 cards currently in wallet.

1. Capital One Quicksilver MC - Mainly general purchases for 1.5% cashback. Will attempt to PC to Cap1 SavorOne (3% entertainment) after paying off BT offer from PenFed.

2. USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex - Mainly gas for roadtrips and rarely PX if I need some stuff (5% cashback and 2% on groceries)

3. Barclays Uber Visa - Food (4%), travel (hotels and plane tickets, 3%), and online purchases for 2%.

4. PenFed Power Cash Rewards Visa - Used their 0% BT offer for a large purchase then will be mainly used for general purchases for 2%.

Considering other cards:

1. Ducks Unlimited Visa - Will be used mainly for gas at Costco (cheaper) within US (5% also).

2. PenFed Pathfinder Rewards Amex - mainly for travel for 4 points or 3.xx% (more than Uber Visa).

3. Chase Freedom - Revolving 5% categories.

Message 43 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was primarily cash back cards until recently, but the AmEx Gold refresh was enticing so I recently switched back into MRs. I'd gotten the 50k SUB for Gold and 25k/2k spend on upgrading my ED to EDP, so MRs have added up nicely for my wife and I recently.

MRs

Gold - Dining, Travel (when booking through AmEx Travel), and the Cheesecake Factory statement credits.

EDP - Groceries, Gas, Everything else.

PenFed PCR - Places that don't accept AmEx

Cash back rotation

Bank of the West CB MC - Gas/Groceries/Dining (3%)

PenFed PCR - all "other" transactions (2%)

Discover IT - corresponding 5% quarterly category

Chase Freedom - corresponding 5% quarterly category

Message 44 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was primarily cash back cards until recently, but the AmEx Gold refresh was enticing so I recently switched back into MRs. I'd gotten the 50k SUB for Gold and 25k/2k spend on upgrading my ED to EDP, so MRs have added up nicely for my wife and I recently.

MRs

Gold - Dining, Travel (when booking through AmEx Travel), and the Cheesecake Factory statement credits.

EDP - Groceries, Gas, Everything else.

PenFed PCR - Places that don't accept AmEx

Cash back rotation

Bank of the West CB MC - Gas/Groceries/Dining (3%)

PenFed PCR - all "other" transactions (2%)

Discover IT - corresponding 5% quarterly category

Chase Freedom - corresponding 5% quarterly category

You got 25k bonus to upgrade!  That's great.  Do you or anybody know if there's any way to get something more than the current 15k SUB for Amex EDP?  

Message 45 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

*SIGH* too many!

BBVA Clearpoints since they code Walmart as grocery unlike my other cards. I have Utilities set for 3x and Grocery for 2x.

Amex BCE for 3% on groceries in the event I need to go to the store that does code as grocery and for 2% on gas.

Discover IT for 5% rotating catagories.

Citi DC for everything else.

I've come to realize I eat out more than I thought so I'm guessing a dining card will be added eventually. Good thing I carry a huge wallet I guess. 

Message 46 of 83
jb1280
Valued Member

Schwab Platinum Card - Airfare, Prepaid Hotel, lounge access, concierge, ability to cash out MR at 1.25

Gold Card - Restaurants, Groceries, Fuel (through Sept 2019)

BBP - Non category spend

BOA Premium Rewards - No FTF visa for foreign travel where Amex not accepted

Message 47 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cards that I carry are listed below!

1. Navy Federal Flagship Visa Sig
I carry this as my travel card and sometimes daily driver if no other card makes sense at the time. I'm stacking points for a trip.

2. Discover IT
I use it for the rotating 5% cash back. I'm still in the 1st hear so its nice when its a category I can use like currently groceries.

3. Evansville Platinum Prime Plus
Mainly because it is my lowest APR card, so I keep for big purchases I may not pay off before the statement. It is only 9.95% unlike my next lowest at 18%.

4. SPG Preferred Guest Business
I have to hit minimum spend and for any business expense needed.

5. Hilton Honors no AF
I use this mainly for resturants as I stay at a lot of Hilton properties so its easy to get points.

6. Navy Federal Business Debit Card
7. Navy Federal Personal Debit Card
Both if I need cash for business or personal.

I also keep a few cards locked up in the car like JC Penny, Wal-Mart, Target and Belk as these are places I frequent but dont want the extra bulk in the wallet.
Message 48 of 83
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Cards that I find I'm currently use the most these days:

(1)  BEFCU VISA:  5.49% F go-to APR with rewards, no BT or cash advance fees

(2)  PACU MC:   7.50% F go-to APR with 1.5% rewards, no BT or cash advance fees

(3)  BoA Cash Rewards WMC:  9.99% F go-to APR with 3-2-1 rewards (gas still selected as my 3% category)

(4)  US Bank Cash+ (x2):  5% rewards on utilities, cell phone, fast food, and ground transportation

(5)  FNBO Amex:  8.50% V go-to APR with 1.5% rewards

(6)  Unify FCU Fixed-Rate VISA:  8.99% F go-to APR, no BT or cash advance fees

(7)  Unify FCU Variable-Rate VISA:  7.24% V go-to APR, no BT or cash advance fees

Message 49 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wallet:

1) CSR - Food is my highest spend

2) Amex Plat - No reason to carry this except to make myself feel fancy, Hotel 

3) Schwab Debit - If I need cash

4) Visa/Amex/MC gift card - purchased at -5% off to be used whenever

5) Rotating card either Chase or Discover.

+Sock drawer cards

Message 50 of 83
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.