Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do for a living?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What do you do for a living?

I'm just really curious. What kind of careers do you all have? Do you like what you do? Is that what you planned on doing, or did things change along the way?

Message 1 of 123
122 REPLIES 122
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What do you do for a living?

I am an office manager at a campground on the river. After spending nearly 20 years in the restaurant/bar industry, I never really expected to work an office job, yet here I am. My family and I can camp, raft, tube, hike, and fish whenever we like. I do love my job, though it is a far cry from what I planned on doing - I was certain I would grow up to be delivering the Weekend Update on SNL, but alas, it wasn't in the cards for me. 

I also side hustle a bit writing articles for various prints, proof-reading, blogging, affiliate marketing, and am working with a publisher to get my first book published. That's my true passion.

Message 2 of 123
Kree
Established Contributor

I develop end of course assessments for various state departments of education. I enjoy the work and plan to stay here for the forseeable future.

Message 3 of 123
Np1791
Frequent Contributor

Insurance agent for Allstate in CA. I am basically sells and service here. I can sell and service home, auto, rental properties, commercial, personal property, events, life insurance and just about everything in between. Although I am not happy with my current agency I do enjoy the work.

As of 11/28/2018
Message 4 of 123
Felony_Phil
Established Contributor

Welding & fabrication.
Message 5 of 123
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

I am a cardiac monitor technician. I work graveyard 12 hour shifts, I have always liked being a nite owl , my DH and I take care of my elderly mother so we work oppposite shifts ( like having little ones again).

So I watch heart rythmns all night long. I enjoy itSmiley Happy

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 123
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I work on Capitol Hill for a member of Congress. Prior to this (last 6 years) I owned and ran my own tradeshow and online business for 18 years. Prior to that, I was VP and GM for a small chain of retail stores (6) for 17 years. My next job starting January 3, 2020, will be to travel, drink more good wine, walk on the beach and work on my hobby of making handmade solid wood furniture. 

Message 7 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

I work on Capitol Hill for a member of Congress. Prior to this (last 6 years) I owned and ran my own tradeshow and online business for 18 years. Prior to that, I was VP and GM for a small chain of retail stores (6) for 17 years. My next job starting January 3, 2020, will be to travel, drink more good wine, walk on the beach and work on my hobby of making handmade solid wood furniture. 

Interesting thread ... as to your occupation, your handle "pipeguy" has caught my eye. Never figured you for work in the political arena with that handle. Your after work January 3, 2020 sounds interesting too Smiley Surprised

Message 8 of 123
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

Currently a 3rd year law student doing criminal appellate work for the state (talk about always having a story to tell). Definitly hoping to continue doing appellate work post-grad. 

Definitely not what I planned - the original track was to be a high-school english teacher but I switched out during my student teaching haha.

Message 9 of 123
Felony_Phil
Established Contributor

Always having a story to tell?

LoL.
Message 10 of 123
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.