Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do for a living?

tag
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: What do you do for a living?

I am an IT guy for a Fortune 500 company. 

My degree is in accounting, so not exactly what was planned. I followed the money.

I absolutely enjoy what I am doing, though.

Message 11 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to have your job at the camp grounds, it sounds super fun my wife and I would really enjoy all your perks! I work for a restoration company. We do fire, smoke, and water damages in damaged homes along with mold remediation. It’s nice that every job and every day is different, plus I get to do a lot of demolition and tear outs so that is pretty fun.
Message 12 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting topic...I’ve often wondered that myself, but also wondered if it would alter or taint the advice from members if I knew more/too much about them. However, curiosity wins out.

Please pardon the lengthy answer, as I’m not sure my current occupation accurately describes who I am.

While I’m high school I decided to join the US Navy, and did so in 1986. I spent from 1986-1992 as an Electronic Warfare Technician on 4 ships and completed 3 deployments, to include Desert Storm.

In 1992 I left active duty for college and joined the USNR. I switched to the US Army Reserve in 1995 as a Civil Affairs Sergeant and did that from 1995-1999. I graduated college with a BA in Political Science in 1996 and spent the next 10 months in Bosnia deployed with the USAR. When I returned to the US in 1997 I began law school and received my JD in 1999. I had a break in military service from 1999-2003.

In 1999 I began working as an Assistant District Attorney in Texas. After the events of 9/11 I applied for a commission into the US Army Reserve JAG Corps and was commissioned in 2003. In 2008 I was called to active duty with the Army and spent from 2008-2014 at Ft Stewart, GA and Ft Bragg, NC (Special Operations Command) as a Judge Advocate in various capacities with a trip to Iraq mixed in durin my time at Ft Stewart.

In 2014 I left active duty and moved to Arizona (I’m licensed in Texas and Arizona) and took a job as a Deputy County Attorney (AZ equivalent of TX ADA). And remained in the Army Reserve.

In 2017 I moved back to Texas to work as a prosecutor for the Office of the Attorney General, where I am today, and also still in the Army Reserve.

I never would’ve thought about becoming an attorney. I began college in an Electrical Engineering & Computer Science duel degree track before changing majors based on my desire to attend law school.

If I had it to do over again, I would’ve joined the FBI or CIA after college, as I prefer that type of proactive work than reactive prosecution. If I were able to get into the US Attorney’s Office that would be much more to my liking, as they do much more in the way of proactive investigation and prosecution.

I’ve enjoyed reading about the others here and look forward to reading more!
Message 13 of 123
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

I work on Capitol Hill for a member of Congress. Prior to this (last 6 years) I owned and ran my own tradeshow and online business for 18 years. Prior to that, I was VP and GM for a small chain of retail stores (6) for 17 years. My next job starting January 3, 2020, will be to travel, drink more good wine, walk on the beach and work on my hobby of making handmade solid wood furniture. 

Interesting thread ... as to your occupation, your handle "pipeguy" has caught my eye. Never figured you for work in the political arena with that handle. Your after work January 3, 2020 sounds interesting too Smiley Surprised

Heh, the handle was given to me years ago as someone that could source "things" be it information or hardware from point A to point B aka concept to implementation, I'll leave it at that Smiley Wink 

Message 14 of 123
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

I work on Capitol Hill for a member of Congress. Prior to this (last 6 years) I owned and ran my own tradeshow and online business for 18 years. Prior to that, I was VP and GM for a small chain of retail stores (6) for 17 years. My next job starting January 3, 2020, will be to travel, drink more good wine, walk on the beach and work on my hobby of making handmade solid wood furniture. 

Interesting thread ... as to your occupation, your handle "pipeguy" has caught my eye. Never figured you for work in the political arena with that handle. Your after work January 3, 2020 sounds interesting too Smiley Surprised

Heh, the handle was given to me years ago as someone that could source "things" be it information or hardware from point A to point B aka concept to implementation, I'll leave it at that Smiley Wink 

I was having visions of Captain Black vapors circling about you. Boy, was I off.

Message 15 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Interesting topic...I’ve often wondered that myself, but also wondered if it would alter or taint the advice from members if I knew more/too much about them. However, curiosity wins out.

Please pardon the lengthy answer, as I’m not sure my current occupation accurately describes who I am.

While I’m high school I decided to join the US Navy, and did so in 1986. I spent from 1986-1992 as an Electronic Warfare Technician on 4 ships and completed 3 deployments, to include Desert Storm.

In 1992 I left active duty for college and joined the USNR. I switched to the US Army Reserve in 1995 as a Civil Affairs Sergeant and did that from 1995-1999. I graduated college with a BA in Political Science in 1996 and spent the next 10 months in Bosnia deployed with the USAR. When I returned to the US in 1997 I began law school and received my JD in 1999. I had a break in military service from 1999-2003.

In 1999 I began working as an Assistant District Attorney in Texas. After the events of 9/11 I applied for a commission into the US Army Reserve JAG Corps and was commissioned in 2003. In 2008 I was called to active duty with the Army and spent from 2008-2014 at Ft Stewart, GA and Ft Bragg, NC (Special Operations Command) as a Judge Advocate in various capacities with a trip to Iraq mixed in durin my time at Ft Stewart.

In 2014 I left active duty and moved to Arizona (I’m licensed in Texas and Arizona) and took a job as a Deputy County Attorney (AZ equivalent of TX ADA). And remained in the Army Reserve.

In 2017 I moved back to Texas to work as a prosecutor for the Office of the Attorney General, where I am today, and also still in the Army Reserve.

I never would’ve thought about becoming an attorney. I began college in an Electrical Engineering & Computer Science duel degree track before changing majors based on my desire to attend law school.

If I had it to do over again, I would’ve joined the FBI or CIA after college, as I prefer that type of proactive work than reactive prosecution. If I were able to get into the US Attorney’s Office that would be much more to my liking, as they do much more in the way of proactive investigation and prosecution.

I’ve enjoyed reading about the others here and look forward to reading more!

You are certainly a jack of all trades. Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a (senior) undergraduate student studying Finance. After graduation next Spring, I will be moving to the East Coast to work for a large asset manager as an equity/credit research analyst. I'll be learning about which companies are worth us investing in based on company/industry analysis, interest rates, and economic outlook.

Message 17 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a senior academic advisor at a CUNY community college in NYC. I've been in higher education for 13 years, as an academic advisor, academic analyst, academic integrity evaluator, and auditor, and I am sick of higher ed. That's the primary reason why I decided to earn my MA in Data Analytics and Applied Social Research at another CUNY school; I am concentrating specifically in Media and Marketing. And the best part - my tuition is free! Not a bad perk, eh? Smiley LOL

I have 21 of 35 credits completed with a 3.867 GPA (*woo hoo*) and I am enrolled in two courses (6 credits) for this semester, which will bring my total completed to 27 in total by December. I hope to be done with my thesis (which counts as 3 credits) and my remaining coursework by the end of next summer, God willing. Once I am done with school, I will be moving back to my hometown (Chicago, IL) to start my next chapter with my love (provided he doesn't screw up Smiley LOL) and a new career.

Edited to add: My undergraduate degree is in psychology. I graduated from DePaul University, hence my username (bludmn = Blue Demon, DePaul's athletic team; 79 = the year I was born). Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 123
Madein84
Valued Member

I am a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep, and this is definitely not what I thought I would be doing.

My undergrad is in communitications and I thought I would graduate and work in the ad agency. I hated my internship, and realized that while I liked to write, I did not enjoy writing copy all day long.

I also interned for a state international trade agency and that experience was more pleasant. Following that and some time living overseas post graduation I focused my energy on working in an international NGO or in the US foreign service - this desire led me to move to NYC.

Through a series of life events and opportunities, I ended up in the public health field, and eventually found my way to my current role.

I like my job, its fun, low stres and flexible.

In regards to what I want to do  - I want freedom. 

So my goal is to save, diversify my investments, pay off debt, have consistent multiple streams of income and retire early so I can enjoy my life and be free to do what I will.

I am currently 34  - I would like to retire at 40.

Starting Score 8/26/18: FICO8 EQ:601 TU:611 EX:618
Current Score 4/1/2019: FICO8 EQ:739 TU:715 EX:680
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 123
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

I worked in Software development since 2000 and recently switched careers to a Sales Engineer.  Loving it so far!  I actually wanted to be a school teacher.  Original course of study was Sociology. 

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 20 of 123
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.