Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do for a living?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What do you do for a living?

@Kforcewhat do we think? A mole? @AverageJoesCredit got a live one for you! Beam down from the Star Ship Enterprise and secure the prize Smiley Happy

Message 71 of 123
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

I am a Secretary for a government agency. Just got a promotion, as a matter of fact! 

Originally, I was going to school for nursing, but life happened and well, here I am now. I love my job and am paid extremely well for a Secretary and have plans to keep climbing the ladder here (hopefully to Board Secretary one day!).

My fiance quit his job as a liquor store manager and now works at a new Sleep Number that opened up down the street from our house. We went in to buy a bed and they ended up calling me asking for his info because they were interested in hiring him. He never mentioned wanting to apply, but was talking to the sales lady about his experience in sales back when he worked at Radio Shack. I guess they really liked him and thought he'd be a good fit. He's been there almost 6 months and is already the top seller for the store and the district! Who knew selling mattresses could be such a lucrative career. The people at one of the other stores in the district  make about 100k a year. They're in a prime location right off the freeway and next to a huge mall, so they get a lot of traffic, but my fiance has been doing really well and his commission checks are certainly going to help us get a house one day!

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 72 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m in retail management, and hatred for my job would be an understatement.

I hold two bachelor’s degrees- Political Science and Russian. I do speak Russian quite fluently, and I am working on Arabic, Korean, Hebrew, and a few other languages in my spare time.

Fingers crossed, but I’m hoping to have a new job within 2-3 weeks
Message 73 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous best wishes on your challenges in finding a job that would better fit how you see working at an occupation. Understand how it can be working where going to work is more than you really can stand (been there). Worked in retail and I know for me it was a good start but, for a short time span!
Message 74 of 123
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

He never mentioned wanting to apply, but was talking to the sales lady about his experience in sales back when he worked at Radio Shack. I guess they really liked him and thought he'd be a good fit.

Heh, I worked for RadioShack for 2 years, about 18 years ago. It was a fun job, but I hated the company itself. They were constantly pushing us to sell cell phones and satellite dishes to everyone, and threatening to fire us if we didn't sell enough of those things (regardless of our sales numbers for other merchandise). Also threatening to fire us if we didn't ask every customer for their name, address, and phone numbers, and threatening to fire us if not enough customers were willing to give us that info. Ultimately, it was those very policies that sank the ship. The leadership at that company was completely out of touch with reality. They should have just stuck to selling interesting elecronic parts and gadgets, that's what they were good at and the reason people shopped there, and the reason I worked there... nobody wanted to go there for cell phones and satellite dishes, there are literally 4 other stores in every strip mall that are selling that stuff. And nobody wanted to get hassled by salespeople pressuring them to get a new cell phone when they only went there to buy some speaker wire.

Anyways, that was my first job. I'm still working at my 2nd job, been here 16 years! I run the engineering department at a small luxury-market technology company. Love it! One of those lucky people who found somewhere I love working pretty much right after high school.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 75 of 123
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

He never mentioned wanting to apply, but was talking to the sales lady about his experience in sales back when he worked at Radio Shack. I guess they really liked him and thought he'd be a good fit.

Heh, I worked for RadioShack for 2 years, about 18 years ago. It was a fun job, but I hated the company itself. They were constantly pushing us to sell cell phones and satellite dishes to everyone, and threatening to fire us if we didn't sell enough of those things (regardless of our sales numbers for other merchandise). Also threatening to fire us if we didn't ask every customer for their name, address, and phone numbers, and threatening to fire us if not enough customers were willing to give us that info. Ultimately, it was those very policies that sank the ship. The leadership at that company was completely out of touch with reality. They should have just stuck to selling interesting elecronic parts and gadgets, that's what they were good at and the reason people shopped there, and the reason I worked there... nobody wanted to go there for cell phones and satellite dishes, there are literally 4 other stores in every strip mall that are selling that stuff. And nobody wanted to get hassled by salespeople pressuring them to get a new cell phone when they only went there to buy some speaker wire.

Anyways, that was my first job. I'm still working at my 2nd job, been here 16 years! I run the engineering department at a small luxury-market technology company. Love it! One of those lucky people who found somewhere I love working pretty much right after high school.

Yup that's exactly what he told me as well. Loved working there because of the people he worked with, but management was idiotic. He worked at one of the busiest stores in the nation, which was the one by the USC campus in Los Angeles. He told me he made a lot of money working there. 

I love my job as well. Took me till I was in my late 20's to find a good permanent position that would actually let me grow and move up if I wanted to. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 76 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a graphic designer by day and a freelance artist by night. I'm currently finishing up two degrees in graphic design and fine art / illustration at college. Here is the latest portrait drawing I just finished for a client.

young-brave-fb.jpg

Message 77 of 123
Dervrak
Valued Member

Federal Government Employee, Supervisory Accountant with the US Treasury. Which is also why I have absolutely no choice but to keep my financial house in spotless condition. The job requires a Public Trust Clearance (essentially like a security clearance but more focused on finances than national security). 

Do I like the job? Well it's about as exciting as it sounds (which is not very unless you love pouring over spreadsheets). In reality I do more on the management side than the actual grunt work anymore, so sitting in meetings and other administrative tasks such as giving out assignments to my employees and then tracking the status of those assignments.

As for the pay, I'm happy with it, I could likely make more in the private sector with my education and experience, but I'm willing to make the trade off for a set 40 hour workweek, flextime and telework (I work 4-10 hour days and telework from home two of those). I also have every government holiday off, 5 weeks of vacation a year and generous benefits and retirement plan.

Message 78 of 123
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a graphic designer by day and a freelance artist by night. I'm currently finishing up two degrees in graphic design and fine art / illustration at college. Here is the latest portrait drawing I just finished for a client.

young-brave-fb.jpg

Amazing!

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 79 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m in aerospace test engineering for a major defense contractor. I test and troubleshoot flight controls for the military and commercial aviation sectors. Been at it since 1998. I’m getting very weary of it though, mainly for the ridiculous office politics side - I love the people I work with. In college I was pre-med, and am seriously looking back at that for a possible career change to become a PA. On the side, I repair, maintain, and customize cars - been turning wrenches since I was 20 and found a way to bring in some side money doing something I enjoy. All of that and having 3 kids keeps me busy for more hours in a day than is probably healthy.
Message 80 of 123
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.