Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do for a living?

tag
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Re: What do you do for a living?

I love reading about what folks on the forum do for a living!  I own a small management consulting company in DC and provide business process reengineering services to government agencies, however, my passion is chess (hence the username, lol).  I actually teach and coach chess to kids and adults on the side.  You can find me on Chess with Friends anyday of week under the same username!  LOL!  

Message 31 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pipeguy wrote:

I work on Capitol Hill for a member of Congress. Prior to this (last 6 years) I owned and ran my own tradeshow and online business for 18 years. Prior to that, I was VP and GM for a small chain of retail stores (6) for 17 years. My next job starting January 3, 2020, will be to travel, drink more good wine, walk on the beach and work on my hobby of making handmade solid wood furniture. 

Is it stressful? Given the current political climate? 

Message 32 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am an accountant, I work on the audit side of the accounting firm.  I also didn't expect to end up in this line of work.  I started out wanting to be a registered nurse; then swtiched to education thinking I would teach 4th & 5th graders...then ended up in accounting program.  It's kinda funny because I was fired from my first "accounting" job out of high school.  I worked at a local car dealership and couldn't balance the daily register for the service department!  I still suck at math.  I cannot do math in my head at all, always get teased about it.

Message 33 of 123
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

I work on Capitol Hill for a member of Congress. Prior to this (last 6 years) I owned and ran my own tradeshow and online business for 18 years. Prior to that, I was VP and GM for a small chain of retail stores (6) for 17 years. My next job starting January 3, 2020, will be to travel, drink more good wine, walk on the beach and work on my hobby of making handmade solid wood furniture. 

Is it stressful? Given the current political climate? 

Yes....I'd retire tomorrow if my boss would let me Smiley Sad

Message 34 of 123
iced
Valued Contributor

I'm involved with the architecture and capacity planning for the public cloud of a well-known tech company.

Message 35 of 123
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I manage a property portfolio for a MLB owner

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 36 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've worked retail for 20 years, starting out as a cashier.  I am now a buyer for a large outdoor retailer.  Get paid to play with a lot of cool products and go on some pretty fun trips.  Life could be worse!

Message 37 of 123
tacpoly
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've worked retail for 20 years, starting out as a cashier.  I am now a buyer for a large outdoor retailer.  Get paid to play with a lot of cool products and go on some pretty fun trips.  Life could be worse!

Do you work for REI?  or Patagonia?  I would love to work for those two companies.  

Message 38 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

I fell into Accounting by accident when I was 20, and nearly 20 years later here we are. I've worked in healthcare, food & beverage & higher ed and now hold my second Controller position.

For a long time I thought I'd get my degree in the field, but I've been doing this work for so long I don't see the point now. 

Planning on retiring in 10-12 years.

Message 39 of 123
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mailman in Northern CA with a notebook of hilarous stories in my 22 year postal career! Smiley Very Happy

Message 40 of 123
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.