Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happenned to the world? Saw handbag $32,000

Established Contributor

Re: What happenned to the world? Saw handbag $32,000

@Gregory1776wrote:

There’s a demand for it, and the market provides. 😌 I❤️Capitalism 

Correct! However 32K on one handbag omg I heard it all now. Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Gardening 2020-2021
Total CL 113k+ UTIL 0.01% Uber Visa, DoubleCash, Quicksilver, Discover IT, Freedom Ulimited, Blue Cash, Premier Rewards GOLD
Message 21 of 26
Established Contributor

Yea, I don’t know who would buy something like that, but I hope they got some savings.... 😗
Message 22 of 26
Valued Contributor

In some sense, threads like this make the "problem" worse (some will see it as one, others won't).

I mentioned Veblen goods earlier. Don't think of this as a case where only a few people can afford a bag that just happens to have a high price. Think of it as a case where a bag is intentionally priced so that very few people can afford it, regardless of its actual value.

If you get upset that you can't afford a $32k bag, the manufacturer has succeeded in bestowing status on it. You win by not caring and deflating any status associated with it. Let it just be an overpriced collection of what I presume is dead animal parts (aka leather) and metal.

Spend: CSR/Freedom/FU, BBP, Costco, Discover
Perks: Schwab Platinum, IHG, Hyatt, SPG
Rarely useful: BCE, ED, Arrival
2019 downgrade: Prestige
Message 23 of 26
Regular Contributor

Society, Social Networks, the Famous, Status, Debt, Riches

Whatever floats your boat.

I dont have or want or need anything other than my home, my family and my business.

I wear $6.50 payless sneakers and $8 clearance pants from old navy.

My kids get a lot of hand me downs and goodwill items.

But we are still a beautiful family.

Just the way I feel. 

Demand for those pricey items are thru the roof, but I sit here and laugh

(meanwhile, im teaching my kids not to fall in that crap trap)

(TUfico8 810)--(EXfico9 804)--(EXfico8 798)--(TUvs3.0 767)- CL- pers 175k+ util~5% biz $85k+
IHG 14.2k--BOA 15.5k--Amazon Prime Store 10k--Amazon PrimeVS 500--Amex Blue Cash Everyday 6k--WellsFargo Cash Wise 14k--PNC Core 10.2k--WalmartMC 10k--SearsMC 10k--Lowes 18k--Toyota 6.5k--Capital One 5250--BP 10k--Home Depot 24.2k--Chase FU 6.6k--Discover 15.5k
BIZ- Amex Plum NPSL--Amex SC+ $13.5k--Amex B4B $12k--Chase Ink $36k--PNC $25k
Message 24 of 26
Established Contributor

@wasCB14wrote:

In some sense, threads like this make the "problem" worse (some will see it as one, others won't).

I mentioned Veblen goods earlier. Don't think of this as a case where only a few people can afford a bag that just happens to have a high price. Think of it as a case where a bag is intentionally priced so that very few people can afford it, regardless of its actual value.

If you get upset that you can't afford a $32k bag, the manufacturer has succeeded in bestowing status on it. You win by not caring and deflating any status associated with it. Let it just be an overpriced collection of what I presume is dead animal parts (aka leather) and metal.

ahahaha very well said... Smiley LOL

Gardening 2020-2021
Total CL 113k+ UTIL 0.01% Uber Visa, DoubleCash, Quicksilver, Discover IT, Freedom Ulimited, Blue Cash, Premier Rewards GOLD
Message 25 of 26
Established Contributor

@WhatTickaWhatwrote:

Society, Social Networks, the Famous, Status, Debt, Riches

Whatever floats your boat.

I dont have or want or need anything other than my home, my family and my business.

I wear $6.50 payless sneakers and $8 clearance pants from old navy.

My kids get a lot of hand me downs and goodwill items.

But we are still a beautiful family.

Just the way I feel. 

Demand for those pricey items are thru the roof, but I sit here and laugh

(meanwhile, im teaching my kids not to fall in that crap trap)

Yup! I don't plan on buying any new clothes and need to learn to love what I already own. Smiley Very Happy

Gardening 2020-2021
Message 26 of 26