cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your largest CL and which card?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: What is your largest CL and which card?

Highest CL at present is $60k on my FNBO Amex card.

Message 51 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

5% savings on $10K is $500. Sales tax savings of $10-$20 range. That's $515 cash back on the transaction.

I've never heard of a new roof, furnace, or AC being tax included. But if they are, great. Care more about a cash discount, if any.

Had a hospital bill give me a 10% discount for "PIF cash". Another hospital bill gave me 10% for PIF, but I also paid that one using a CC. Should have tried for PIF CC on the first, maybe they would still have given me 10%.

More items to negotiate. Retainer wall rebuilds, furniture purchases, etc. They may not all give discounts, but some do. Point is, sometimes you don't need your entire line if you are a PIF cardholder.

The hospital discounts are pretty standard (one place here offers 40% discount if you just pay the bill rather than file with insurance) but that's not a cash-instead-of-CC discount. You likely would have still got the 10% on the first bill, too. Most of the other examples you cite fall into this bucket as well - they're offering discounts for a single payment-in-full instead of installments, not for paying with cash instead of CC.

Tax-included on medium- and big-ticket items means it's already rolled into the cost and they're not going to crunch the numbers rolling it back on a cash/CC discount. If I negotiate for a painting from an art dealer for a painting for say $25,000 and he says he'll do $24,500 if I write a check instead of use a card to save him on merchant fees, I'm usually either writing a check for $24,500 or swiping my card for $25,000. He's not going back and refactoring in the sales tax adjustment. His business model is such he's just paying that 6% or whatever on the back-end from his revenue. Same deal with general contractors and the like, though - they're cutting me a discount because they're basically just handing me the merchant fees they'd otherwise pay to the card to me instead. In a lot these cases, they're not even accepting CC for payment in full anyway. I'd love to go to the dealership and buy a new car and put it on my card instead of dealing with a check, but most dealerships won't take more than maybe $1,000 on card, so it's not worth the hassle.

The ones that did offer a substantial discount for cash instead of CC for payment-in-full are probably running some of that money under the prying eyes of the IRS, and I would immediately question them on their motives for such a discount. I'd rather pay the extra $500 than allow Greasy Gus to pocket cash outside the rules. Sorry all you food service workers out there, but this is also a reason I tend to leave the tip on my card as well - I know a lot of you aren't reporting it when I leave it as cash.

Sales tax of $10-20 on a $10,000 purchase is nothing. I'd never remember that $20 three days after the deal was done. However, my example cited a very unfavorable tax rate of 10%, hence the $50.

The bigger point in all this is that there's very, very few occasions where  paying a balance in full with a check versus paying it in full with a card is going to result in any sort of savings that's worth the hassle of negotiating for.

That may be the case, especially now with the proliferation of cards. I will try next several times, PIF with CC for a discount. I've asked for a discount for PIF once, handed them a card, and was told cash only for the full amount. We'll see. It still happens.

I don't care much about rewards on a reduction of sales tax. Was just a side mention.

Message 52 of 68
credit_endurance
Valued Contributor

Great topic by the way...

BOA Cash Rewards Visa $55,600 (After a a couple of clousures and reallocations)

Navy Flagship Visa $50,000 (After a closure and reallocation)

Pen Fed Power Cash Rewards Visa $50,000 (This one grew on its very own so most proud of this one 😉😎) 

Will be considering closing out some of my lesser limit cards in the future once I get my utilization down enough. It's just something about a profile with higher limits that's very appealing 😀

Starting FICO08 Scores 2016 All in the mid 500’s
Current FICO08 Scores SEP 2023 (TU 834) (EQ 831 (EXP 831)

“The credit is no longer bruised, it has endured the test of time” (formally know as bruisedcredit)

Message 53 of 68
Trudy
Valued Contributor

25K WF.  And that's only because I nearly kept it maxed when the limit was lesser.  They kept bumping me up, I kept spending more.  Paid it off....crickets.

After having high UTL across the board and I started really paying attention to my credit, paid off all credit cards to $0.  Then got hit with the no cards reporting balance.  Learned the game by then but had to do it anyway. It was a goal. Now I seldom spend much on CC and no one will give me any increases.  Got a new card last year with 800 scores.....CL = 5KSmiley Sad, with WF.  All CLI request denied on all cards due to "too little usage".  I'd like to be rewarded for my credit file so should I need a large spend it won't tank my scores due to UTL.  But, I'll keep my limited CL, keeps me in check with CC spending.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 54 of 68
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Whatever balance is currently in my checking account and with my debit card. 😂

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 55 of 68
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

As of tonight Lowe's now $35,000 (started at $1,000 -- no spend on card to date, 8 months old).
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 56 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

My highest is USBank Platinum at 15K. I am working to raise my Citi cards, specifically double cash, to that limit or higher, and when its offered upgrade cap one, which is at 14800, to savor.

Message 57 of 68
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

I'm only posting because i sat and read through every single reply Smiley Happy

Actual question: I have the Amex Surpass and Aspire cards. When i received my Aspire, I allocated some limit over from my Surpass because it was 15k. Now it's split 8k and 10.6k. Beyond personal preference, would there be any advantages/disadvantages to having either one of the cards have the majority of that 18.6k limit?

I've gotten my sub from my Surpass and will hit the sub on my Aspire soon. I'm keeping the different Hilton points earning rates of each card in mind but other than that I have no preference as to which card to use.

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 58 of 68
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@kudosalert wrote:

Actual question: I have the Amex Surpass and Aspire cards. When i received my Aspire, I allocated some limit over from my Surpass because it was 15k. Now it's split 8k and 10.6k. Beyond personal preference, would there be any advantages/disadvantages to having either one of the cards have the majority of that 18.6k limit?

I personally think having at least one higher card limit is that should you have a large spend situation it wouldn't kill your individual UTL or possibly negatively impact your score, even though scores will rebound when paid down.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 59 of 68
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kudosalert wrote:

I've gotten my sub from my Surpass and will hit the sub on my Aspire soon. I'm keeping the different Hilton points earning rates of each card in mind but other than that I have no preference as to which card to use.

I'm not sure how it would affect credit scores with little no use of the cards, but I would give the larger limit to the card that might have a bigger balance in any given month, so that utilization on a single card is less.

For instance, if one card has a limit of 5K, and sometimes you charge up to $4,500 in a month and report the balance, that shows up as 90% utilized, and the other card gets up to $300 in any given month, that wouldn't be the most efficient for your scores. So the card that could get the higher balance should have the higher CL. 

Message 60 of 68
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.