cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a cheap source for high speed internet?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's a cheap source for high speed internet?

Hey there Cap, thanks for the information above.  Question, though.  It says the $39.99/mo offer for 1 year is for "new Fios customers."  If I cancel my current plan and sign up for a new one, I'm not really a new customer, although I would have a new account.  If you can just cancel and start over, is this something that in theory could be repeated once a year to beat the system and try to keep that price?  What is the price after the first year if you don't cancel?  Any additional info here would be welcomed.  Thank you for your assistance thus far!

Message 11 of 21
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Ha,ha..a good portion of my family lives in Poughkeepsie, NY. Small world for sure! When BBS mentioned 1.5hrs north of NYC. It's the first place I thought of. My family is slowly migrating back south as they get older. You guys property taxes are ridiculously!
Message 12 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Hey there Cap, thanks for the information above.  Question, though.  It says the $39.99/mo offer for 1 year is for "new Fios customers."  If I cancel my current plan and sign up for a new one, I'm not really a new customer, although I would have a new account.  If you can just cancel and start over, is this something that in theory could be repeated once a year to beat the system and try to keep that price?  What is the price after the first year if you don't cancel?  Any additional info here would be welcomed.  Thank you for your assistance thus far!

If you can just cancel and start over, is this something that in theory could be repeated once a year to beat the system and try to keep that price? A new account counts as new customer according to verizon... Not sure this can be done every year haven't tried it myself, however they do a hard pull not soft to avoid rental fee put a check mark in the box I already my own equipment. I had a $60 plan with basic TV and wanted a better deal so I simply tried the method in my previous post via the online link so far 2 months in bills reflect $39.99 a month for 100mbps/100mbps also you could simply do a dry run goto the link put in your adress except no apartment number see if the offer is avilable first before you cancel and what not hope I could help. Smiley Very Happy

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

My cheap unlimited T-Mobile plan includes tethering, so my phone is my wi-fi. My portion of our family plan's bill is $40 including taxes.

You need to have full signal and even then service can be slow. If I need the internet for a couple of hours or more, I go the library.

We have a weekend place in Hillsdale and I finally have cell service there. I pass you Poughkeepsie folks all the time on my way to/from Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

My cheap unlimited T-Mobile plan includes tethering, so my phone is my wi-fi. My portion of our family plan's bill is $40 including taxes.

You need to have full signal and even then service can be slow. If I need the internet for a couple of hours or more, I go the library.

We have a weekend place in Hillsdale and I finally have cell service there. I pass you Poughkeepsie folks all the time on my way to/from Smiley Wink

cheap unlimited plan from T-Mobile would you please share data points? Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm completely cool with $39.99/mo for the first year, I just don't want to have to worry about Year 2 and the monthly rate at that point.  For anyone that has tried this, what does that rate become after Year 1?  Verizon Fios chat quoted me $84.99 or something ridiculous per month for internet-only, so if $39.99 becomes $84.99 after Year 1 is up, I would pass on that.  Going to something like $59.99/mo I could deal with, as $59.99 plus a Netflix subscription is less than $75/mo which is less than $100/mo compared to what I'm paying now with a real Fios package that includes TV.

Message 16 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

cheap unlimited plan from T-Mobile would you please share data points? Thanks! Smiley Very Happy

T-Mobile ONE

You need 4 people to get the per phone line cost down to $40 including taxes. 

Message 17 of 21
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1wrote:
Ha,ha..a good portion of my family lives in Poughkeepsie, NY. Small world for sure! When BBS mentioned 1.5hrs north of NYC. It's the first place I thought of. My family is slowly migrating back south as they get older. You guys property taxes are ridiculously!

😱😱😱 One big happy Poughkeepsie fam! 😏🤪

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

For awhile after I had burned Comcast and AT&T I didn't have internet access until I discovered a very inexpensive way that I used. Well, until my neighbors moved. No idea what they were paying. Now I use AT&T which isn't cheap..

Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is kind of an odd question to be asking a forum with users from everywhere because fixed high speed internet in this country is fully geographical. Nobody can tell you which cable company or fiber company is in your area. Those are your basic choices. In my area, its Comcast or FIOS, and then the phone company CenturyLink offers DSL. Dont even think about using cell service for your HSI home needs. Thats ridicuous. First of all LTE latency is like multiple times that of fixed HSI for pretty obvious reasons, its beaming to you from a tower. Secondly they all have caps or limits. Tmo has one without caps, but you have to pay extra on top of your base plan. You can get standalone HSI from your fixed providers usually for fairly cheap. Around $40 a month. And taxes on HSI are nothing like taxes and fees on the tv part

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.