cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the longest you ever been blacklisted with a credit card company?

tag
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

What's the longest you ever been blacklisted with a credit card company?

For me it's been 17 1/2 years and counting with American Express.  You can share your story to if you want. 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's the longest you've ever been blacklisted with the credit card company?

Somewhere around 2004 or early 2005 I had burned Amex on an old Optima card. (that was a good looking card, btw!) 

I'm guessing it was right around $1000 or so by the time late fees and interest had been added on. (one of many charge offs during that time, never any BK though)

Well, as of two days ago I was just approved for the AMEX ED and yesterday, after making me wait a day I got the approval email for the Platinum card.

Frankly I never thought I'd get off that BL. I periodically app for cards just to test the waters with them, but always denied due to past relationship.

Message 2 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: What's the longest you've ever been blacklisted with the credit card company?

Last time I checked was 27 years with AMEX and that was after they bombarded me with pre approved/selected offers. I have not bothered since nor will I ever again.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 wrote:

Last time I checked was 27 years with AMEX and that was after they bombarded me with pre approved/selected offers. I have not bothered since nor will I ever again.

Wow, they must have a top secret dossier on you to keep you blacklisted for 27 years.

Message 4 of 19
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

Discover... I had a business card in 2006-2007 time frame. I missed a couple payments and they sent it to a third party to collect the balance (~$1500). I paid off the third party but ever since when I app for Discover that is the reason given for the denial. Unsatisfactory previous relationship. I guess this year makes about 10 years on the blacklist that they claim doesn't exist Smiley Happy

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 5 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

For me it's Barclays due to an old Juniper card that was charged off during the recession (2008-ish)... I found out about their blacklist when I tried to get Sallie Mae and was summarily denied without even a HP (for which I was thankful).

Knowing what I do now I'll probably never try with Barclays again, so unfortunately I'm not likely to ever have an additional data point about how long my "ban" will last.  At this point I'm assuming it will be indefinitely, anyway.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What's the longest you ever been blacklisted with a credit card company?

I am on year 8 with capital1 but I think its because of a computer system glitch.  

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I burned AX for many thousands of dollars and never ever did I figure to get back in with them. It has been 17 years. Oh ... I am not back with them and do not intend to take the HP. There are other lenders that cover my basis so it is not worth getting excited over AX. Originally got in with AX with the Green and then Gold Charge Cards with a Bank Credit line (prestige and mystique was the thing and not issuing cards to the masses). Today all the hype etc is gone so for me why bother? It is about what card product best suits my need at any given point in time.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

7 years with USAA.  They wouldn't even let me use their website and I had to their mobile app to pay my insurance bill.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I am on year 8 with capital1 but I think its because of a computer system glitch.  

Capital One doesn't black list.  They gave me a credit card with their credit card showing as charged off on my report and updating it monthly.  

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.