cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your most surprising CC approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What was your most surprising CC approval?

My biggest surprise was when BB&T sent me a preapproved email for their Spectrum card, i went for it and was met with a 15k limit. 

Message 21 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

3 years ago, when I was rebuilding my credit and only had 2 secured cards. My Wells Fargo secured card had just unsecured so I was excited and wanted to add more cards to help my rebuild. I read up on the Discover IT card and how if you are denied they may counter with the Discover IT secured card. I app'd expecting to be declined and hoping for the secured card counter offer but I was approved outright! It was a $1,200 SL but I was ecstatic lol. That same day, I tried my luck for the Amex ED and Citi DC and was approved for both as well! I stopped after a denial for the Chase Freedom lol. Definitely got an app spree high that day.

Message 22 of 48
marty56
Super Contributor

Bank of America which was the bane of my credit rebuild but now just sites there and ages for me.  I sometimes still wonder if the CSR who told me a 120 day late was just a sting still works there.

AMEX Delta because they closed my green card all those years ago when I went into a DMP program.

I still won't go back to Capitol One although I would like to have the history of my old generous $500 CL card on my credit report.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 23 of 48
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

My PayPal and Amex Delta. I don't even know what I was thinking when I apped for the PayPal. Had to call and confirm identity and was approved for $700 with a 595, I think. As for the Delta, I was declined with a 630-something. I read that you needed a 640 to even be considered so when my EX jumped to 641 a week later, I cold apped and was instantly approved for $1000.

Message 24 of 48
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

My PayPal and Amex Delta. I don't even know what I was thinking when I apped for the PayPal. Had to call and confirm identity and was approved for $700 with a 595, I think. As for the Delta, I was declined with a 630-something. I read that you needed a 640 to even be considered so when my EX jumped to 641 a week later, I cold apped and was instantly approved for $1000.

You’re the poster boy for making the impossible, possible.

Message 25 of 48
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm wondering which card you app'd for when you didn't necessarily fit its criteria, but were unexpectedly approved for anyway! I've found some older threads, but I'd like to hear your more recent, successful (lucky?) application stories. And what was your CS and SL upon approval?

I'll start:

Four years ago, I had ZERO credit history, no score, and had applied for a few cards, no dice. Not surprising now, I was clueless and applying for prime cards like CSP and Venture. Decided to apply for AMEX Gold on this spree, instant approval for $2000 SL. I was floored. Knew nothing about anything but my jaw still dropped at the "you've been approved for $2000!" message. No POI. No anything. Got my card a couple days later. Ended up losing the card a year later due to exceeding the $2000 CL and a 90 day late payment. Again, clueless. Sad that I had no idea how lucky I was at the time, because I definitely would've been more careful. You live and you learn though! Long after it was cancelled and accrued more interest than I'd like to say due to only making minimum payments, I ended up calling AMEX to first apologize and then to see if we could work ANYTHING out. Lowered my APR and now have the Optima/Oasis agreement set in place with them. They must've realize how young and stupid I was and how stupid they were for giving me the card LOL!

American Express® Green Card.  I burned AMEX for about $250.00 when I was a kid.  I started applying every 6 months in 2010.  I received immediate auto denials.  I was bored one Sunday evening in February 2017, I tried for the EveryDay card, boom approved. I really wanted the Green, so I called CS.  The representative said the two cards could work hand in hand.  BOOM approved for the Green too. 

Being approved for the Green was on my bucket list.  But I HATE fees!  Then I found MyFico (I love you Guys!) and its breakdown on how to offset AF’s.  I jumped at an offer of 50,000 MR points to upgrade to Premier Reward Gold 9 months later.  

After 30+ years on the AMEX blacklist I had a charge and a credit card.

Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had several stunners: USB Cash+ & 365 cards, Uber, and WF Cash Wise; all at 12/12 or higher inq's.

The absolute jawdropper was $15k on Amex Magnet with very high inq's. Previous high initial cl was $5k.
Message 27 of 48
red259
Super Contributor

Probably my old citi AA business card. Not because I was approved but because they gave me a starting credit line of 30k when I already had a lot of other available credit with citi.

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 28 of 48
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@shoegal wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

You’re the poster boy for making the impossible, possible.

Lol, yeah. Problem is the stuff everyone else gets like huge NFCU CLIs and 2nd cards or 7 mos secured discover graduation, I don't get. I seriously believe I'll have a CSR or Centurion before NFCU or discover shows me some love. 😂😂😂

Message 29 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's your most unexpected approval?

I'm talking when you applied assuming it would be an auto denial but you were feeling lucky. What were your stats and what SL did you get?

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.