cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your most surprising CC approval?

tag
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: What's your most unexpected approval?

This is interesting because I think each time I did an app for a card, I thought I was in decent position to get it. I guess for me, I would have go by what moved me the most, and that was my Amex approval of 10K. At the time for me, it signaled my progression from being in a bad place from a credit standpoint.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 31 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Platinum. I was pretty shocked when I got it since they had just given me a 2.5x CLI on my first card a few days prior. I definitely didn’t expect them to give me $7200 @ 7.99%! 

Message 32 of 48
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@RonM21 wrote:
This is interesting because I think each time I did an app for a card, I thought I was in decent position to get it. I guess for me, I would have go by what moved me the most, and that was my Amex approval of 10K. At the time for me, it signaled my progression from being in a bad place from a credit standpoint.

+1. I totally agree with @ronm21 because everytime I apply for a card, it’s with an expectation of being approved because my credit profile is in great shape. 

Now, my shock occurred in 2016 when NFCU approved me for a cashRewards $15K SL. At the time, I only had the NFCU Platinum $4K CL with a 660 score. I was floored. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 33 of 48
5KRunner
Frequent Contributor

My most unexpected approval occurred last Friday, when I visited my local Citizens branch to check on an offer I received for their Cash Back Plus card. It was prequalified, so I assumed it was just one of those mass-mailed solicitations they send to nearly everyone. The banker checked a few things on his side, and verified that it was indeed preapproved for a $7400 SL and their middle-tier APR. They pulled EQ, which is the report with the fewest INQs by a wide margin.

Stats at the time of approval:

11 new revolving accounts since last August

Total CL $124,875

Utilization 18.03%

AAoA 6.33

AoOA 21.41 years

FICO 8: EQ 734, TU 754, EX 755

Message 34 of 48
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@RonM21 wrote:

+1. I totally agree with @ronm21 because everytime I apply for a card, it’s with an expectation of being approved because my credit profile is in great shape. 

Now, my shock occurred in 2016 when NFCU approved me for a cashRewards $15K SL. At the time, I only had the NFCU Platinum $4K CL with a 660 score. I was floored. 

Wow!  

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 35 of 48
galahad15
Valued Contributor

2017 approval for my BEFCU VISA was most unexpected approval, since despite the geo restrictions of needing to be a Cali resident or work in CA, etc., I applied for the card using the online app and suprisingly, wasn't kicked out of the app form due to the geo restrictions.  Was very pleasantly surprised a few days later when I got a call from the CU iirc, mentioning that I had been approved for $4k!  Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine was probably my USAA Cashback Plus card. I have never been denied a CC, but I usually get low limits on them. I app'd to save a little bit of money off my auto insurance premium and I was astounded that I was approved for 10k. My highest before that was my WF card at 4.8k, and I had that card for 9 years before I PC'd to the Propel. 

Message 37 of 48
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: What was your most surprising CC approval?

My most surprising was the CSP, but not because it was approved, but the limit.
I thought I'd get the $5k SL.  I got $17k and about fell out of the chair when I saw that.
My highest card up until then was $1,600

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 38 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haha, yesterday!  I was approved for the Discover It Cash Back card with an $8000 limit.  I'm currently in the early stages of working on my credit, with all scores falling around 667.

Message 39 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most surprising for me thusfar would be my Cash+. Considering how they're spoke of being very conservative and I had no previous relationship. They gave me a 1k SL and lowest apr (on the card, and of all the cards in my wallet) + 0% on purchases and BTs for 12 mo.
Message 40 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.