cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your worst customer service rep experience?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What was your worst customer service rep experience?

What's everyone's worst experience contacting a credit card company customer service rep on the phone? Did you do any yelling or cursing? Did the rep do any or hung up on you? Tell me your stories and which lender was it from?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: What was your worst customer service rep experience?

Amex required me to contact them to approve a 2k on-line purchase with a newish card (I had already made 1 large payment in full). I jumped on Chat and talked to some idiot for 20 minutes while they checked with a supervisor many times. They finally let me know I would have to call this number "xxx-xxx...."  I closed chat and called the number, key'd in my card number and whatever, then a recording came on saying "welcome to American Express collections department, You don't owe anything at this time, Goodbye" and it hung up.  

I grabbed a newish Chase card and made the purchase. 

I have been a Chase fan ever since.

That is the worst contact I have made... not bad for as many cards as I have.  Most lenders have their stuff together enough that I only have to call for concierge or when I need a change or CLI.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

Amex required me to contact them to approve a 2k on-line purchase with a newish card (I had already made 1 large payment in full). I jumped on Chat and talked to some idiot for 20 minutes while they checked with a supervisor many times. They finally let me know I would have to call this number "xxx-xxx...."  I closed chat and called the number, key'd in my card number and whatever, then a recording came on saying "welcome to American Express collections department, You don't owe anything at this time, Goodbye" and it hung up.  

I grabbed a newish Chase card and made the purchase. 

I have been a Chase fan ever since.

That is the worst contact I have made... not bad for as many cards as I have.  Most lenders have their stuff together enough that I only have to call for concierge or when I need a change or CLI.

lol why did they send you a number to the collections department? 

Message 3 of 6
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What's everyone's worst experience contacting a credit card company customer service rep on the phone? Did you do any yelling or cursing? Did the rep do any or hung up on you? Tell me your stories and which lender was it from?

Does Rachal calling from credit card services count???

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's gotta be some stories out there!! 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So far for me it has been an AMEX chat. Last October I changed my last name. Sent all of my credit card companies their required info to have name changed. Uploaded all the documents to AMEX, they sent me a new card with the new last name on it, no problems. Recently, I noticed in my account info online that it shows my old last name. I hopped on chat thinking this would be a simple fix. NOPE. He kept telling me to use the name change feature and to go through the process again. I told him no, I did all of this many months ago and I already have a card with my new name on it. He said they only changed the name on my card, not my account and if I want the account info changed, I needed to send them proof of name change. Again, I told him I have already done that and the account showed my new last name for months but has now reverted to my former name. This went on for a long time. I couldn't take it anymore so I ended the chat. As of this day, my card and my statement have one last name, but account holder info or whatever it is called on the online system shows an old name. I hate things being half azzed so this bothers me, but not enough to go through another stupid chat experience.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.