Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would a goal be for you?

tag
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

What would a goal be for you?

For me, I have a hard time really thinking about an "I really need this card" except MAYBE the Cash+ (5% selected category) or AOD (3% flat cashback). I would like to hear from the community what THEIR goal card would be?

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: What would a goal be for you?

I'm already through the SUB cycles for nearly all the cards I want, so at this point my goals are to gradually take steps to close out the cards and banks that I don't want long term.

Closed Cap One QS after they CLD'd it by half. Will be closing my $30k Savor card before the AF hits next time. Cap One will be no longer in my wallet then.

Recently used up all but 5,000 American Airlines miles, so will be closing my Mile Up Card, and getting out of Citi completely.

Other cards aren't so simple, but there's still a few more to honestly jettison. 

If AMEX ever comes out with the Optio card I'd likely be gobsmacked by that card. But at this point it's only a fantasy, not so much a goal. Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Like you, to remind myself that I don't have to capitalize on every.single.purchase just to make this hobby enjoyable. I've been really good until I recently got the Amex Platinum card.

The 100k/10x offer lured me in thus breaking my steak of not applying. I made it almost 2 years without a single approval but at least I feel this offer was worth breaking said streak.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some more CU cards with healthy limits would be sweet

If NFCU brings back the Flagship SUB that'd be cool too

Message 4 of 16
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I pretty much have the cards I want for now and probably won't be apping again for a year or two, but the ones I'm kind of eyeing for my next steps are AOD Siggy, USB Cash+, and Navy Plat.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't been luck enough to ever get really any cards I wamted, but with the future looking bright, I certainly do have a few goal cards since I will be "new" to all of this "maximizing spend".

A few of my big goal cards are:

*AOD Siggy (already a banking customer and they are my primary bank)

*Nusenda (previous banking customer for many years and would like to reestablish with them)

*Sandia Area FCU (for a good low APR card)

*SW Airlines for the companion pass (not good long term card, but still good for me since I travel for work extensively and love to take vacays!)

Maybe the BoA Cash Rewards for their travel category, but I heard something about the preferred rewards being reduced pr going away in the future? I had liked the US Bank Cash+, but not sure any categories would be entirely useful for me at this point.

Plenty of others, but those are near top of the list!

Message 6 of 16
Doodlebug30
Established Contributor

I am personally not applying for anything for the next year. I will let myself out of app lockdown on 12/1/2021. BUT if i were sitting here daydreaming...I cant really think of a card i just HAVE TO HAVE. I might go after the Amex hilton honors tho....

Message 7 of 16
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

I won't be apping for quite a while. I picked up a few cards or more and an auto loan this year.

If I was ready for a card I'd probably say AOD sig. Also the same as Dumbee said about the Flagship with a SUB from Navy.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing on the immediate horizon here. 2020 was lucrative and busy - this year saw me pick up a Visa Platinum from my local daily-driver CU, the Sams MasterCard, the PenFed PCR, and the Amex Platinum on the killer 100k/10x/20% SUB, plus a car loan. More than enough new accounts for a bit (I turned down the SP approval for the Apple Card and about ten Comenity preapprovals as well), and this year I've had a net increase of $61,100 in TCL even after accounting for the loss of a $10,500 TL when Wayfair was closed.

Time to cool everything off, work on SP CLIs, and see what looks good this coming summer. Next moves will probably involve Navy.

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only cards I've considered apping for in the last 2 years has been BoA cash rewards and USB Cash+.  Bringing both of those on would more or less take care of all my spend catagories.  I've held back on apping though (43 months is my AoYA) as I plan to do a refinance on my mortgage.  Since the refi would reset my AoYA to 0 months and I'd lose my pretty Fico scores, I'd probably app for those 2 cards immediately after before the mortgage reports.  Maybe mid-2021, we'll see. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.