cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When credit cards go all digital what will we call them?

tag
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: When credit cards go all digital what will we call them?

I'm gonna guess we will still refer to them as credit cards - whether they are virtual or tangible. I still get a "paycheck" every week although I have had direct deposit for 20+ years. 

Think about it. None of you have actual cash in the bank. All we have had for 30-40 years has been digitized. Now, you can go to the bank and they will reduce some of the electronic bits and bytes they have on their servers and hand you paper money for it - but how many of us do that?

I pay all my bills online. All that amounts to is a transfer of electronic information between my bank and the biller's bank. 

I look for us to eventually do everything biometrically. I can already do that in the TSA lines and boy is it convenient. Won't matter if you forget your phone - chances are you won't ever forget to take your fingerprints/eyes/etc with you.

Message 21 of 25
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@calyx wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:
There are some elderly folks out there who still have flip phones

Early adopters then!   Some of my wife's relatives don't have mobile phones at all: what's wrong with a good home phone?  They don't want people to be able to contact them "all the time"....

yep, I know people younger than me (30s) who don't have cell phones at all.

My solution is not answering my cell phone unless I (or my phone) recognize the callers number. 

I'd use my smartwatch for payment before I'd use my phone. For now I'm sticking with cards and I suspect they will still be in use 10 years from now.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 22 of 25
galahad15
Valued Contributor

For me ime, not gonna happen lol, I refuse to use digital methods of pay, prefer physical credit cards... Smiley Tongue

Message 23 of 25
800FICOGoal
Established Contributor

Storing all your credit cards on a such a fragile unsecure device like a cellphone is just inviting another single point of failure into your life. 

Rebuild Cards

Goal Cards

Loans
Message 24 of 25
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

I don't have have a cell phone, nor will I ever.  I hate the **bleep** things.  My kids know not to take them out when  we are eating out. I think it's rude to be checking emails instead of visiting.  If they want me,  they leave a message on my "home" phone.  What can I say, I am just a stubborn old man.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.