Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When were you content?

tag
ambivalent
Established Contributor

When were you content?

I am wondering when you all were content with your credit cards/profiles?  You know, the moment you decided you did not need to apply for anything else?  Was it a specific card, limit on a card, or total limits?  I'm curious!

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
manwoot
Frequent Contributor

Re: When were you content?

I'm pretty content with my profile right now... I'm even considering either getting rid of or trying to combine a few cards here and there.  I made sure I had my 5% categories covered, plus a bigger bonus on gas and dining year round.

I think limits are something you should always pursue.  Especially since American Express, Discover, and Citi all offer regular SP limit increases.  I don't see why you wouldn't keep trying for higher CLs.

Message 2 of 19
jd352
Regular Contributor

Personally, I was done for a while after I obtained my BCE 3x CLI and my PSECU credit card. After I obtained those, I left the forums for about 1 year (going away really helps the addiction of app'ing and CLI'ing) and just let my accounts settle in. Over that time, my scores grew close to 35 points to where they are now. Once I came back I app'd for the CSP and Amex Everyday Preferred then I upgraded my PRG to a Platinum. I also upgraded my Freedom to a Visa Signature and added 8,500 to my Citi line of credit (which is my only card with a balance). Since I have gotten everything I wanted now, I will just let them all sit and grow again other than 3x'ing the CLI on the Everyday Preferred card. After that, I really think I will be done applying for credit. My available credit is more than I will ever need for quite a while I have some great cards with nice perks and will just let them grow with me. I have considered getting a Barclay Apple card when I replace my laptop, but I really don't need it and the CL would be useless after I paid it off anyway so I will probably just pass on that too.

I have also learned I am much more of a points collector than a cash back person so I am contemplating moving my BCE CL to the Everyday and just closing the BCE. It doesn't cost anything, but I really don't use it either.

NPSL............... $20,700........... $15,200.......... $5,000............ $15,000............ $20,000
Current Scores: Equifax: 761 (Fico) TransUnion: 751 (Fico) Experian: 768 (Fico)
Message 3 of 19
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

(1) When I got my first 5-figure card, and

(2) When I got my Chase Freedom (just a personal pride thing, I've been trying to crack into Chase for a LONG time)

Message 4 of 19
StriveToProsper
Regular Contributor

I'll be content the day AMEX invites me for their Centurion Card (Black) Smiley LOL

On a serious note, I believe I will be content the day I receive a figure figure limit on the 3 cards I use most often. A 750+ CS will leave me content as well.   

As for the time being, I can't say I'm content because my APR's could be lower along with higher CL's - but gardening and building solid relationships will aid in that. 

Message 5 of 19
ambivalent
Established Contributor

Thanks for the responses! I think I'd just like one more 10k card and I will be good!  I can't wait until I can get an Amex....gotta wait for my bk to age a lot though.  I'd also like a Discover card and maybe Chase.  I burned Chase in my bk, so I don't think that will be happening. 

Aiming for 700 across FICO 8 and $150K TCL
Message 6 of 19
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I'm content right now.

I stopped applying for CCs when I got my $7k card from BECU in December.

My 1 inquiry this year was my auto refi in March which got my profile where I wanted it. I have a mix of revolving cards ($23k limit with an $80k income) and have installment loans (car and small $5k SL.)

I guess I am in the minority but I don't need $100k in CL to feel good about my financial profile. Credit has to be paid back regardless of how much you have. I learned how to pay with cash in Ch 13 and continue to do so.

My profile is complete. I'm expecting 690+ at my mid month reporting... My 13 falls off my reports in 4/2016. On cruise control until then...
FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 7 of 19
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

I will be content when I 1) Have a CSP in my wallet, 2) Have an AMEX in my wallet.  Until then my obsession continues.  Sadly this will probably take many years...

Message 8 of 19
ExplicitElicit
Established Contributor

I was content before I was 18 and couldn't have credit cards!! Smiley Very Happy

Now I just need

-CSP

-Sallie Mae

and I will be done with cards - it will only be cli's

Message 9 of 19
wmweeza
Established Contributor

I'm content now. Just got a CLI increase on my BofA card. I'd like an AMEX and then I'll be done. I really don't need more, and I love living within my means. I might eventually get a Macy's card but that's doubtful. I'm finding it fun growing what I have and tracking my credit scores! I could apply for almost anything, I'd be approved for the majority of major cards out there, but I just don't need them

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.