Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where'd my Uber Cash go? AmEx Platinum benefit and Uber Cash

tag
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Where'd my Uber Cash go? AmEx Platinum benefit and Uber Cash

At the beginning of every month, my OCD self opens the Uber app to make sure that my $15 monthly credit from my AmEx Plat is credited.

Over the last several months, as cardholders who use the benefit know, that benefit got punted under the Uber Cash umbrella. I hated this, because if my ride was $14.57, and I wanted to leave a tip, the app wanted me to reload Uber Cash rather than cover the overage with my card (so that tip would sit and wait until my next AmEx benefit reloaded my cash balance).

Today, I got my email from Uber to say that my $15 credit has arrived. The email explains that you have to access the credit via Uber Cash...which was nothing new. I went into the app to check to make sure it was there - and it appears to have reverted back to the old, pre-Uber Cash way. 

Not sure what happened, but I hope it stays this way. Smiley Wink 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: Where'd my Uber Cash go? AmEx Platinum benefit and Uber Cash

@iheartwings wrote:

At the beginning of every month, my OCD self opens the Uber app to make sure that my $15 monthly credit from my AmEx Plat is credited.

Over the last several months, as cardholders who use the benefit know, that benefit got punted under the Uber Cash umbrella. I hated this, because if my ride was $14.57, and I wanted to leave a tip, the app wanted me to reload Uber Cash rather than cover the overage with my card (so that tip would sit and wait until my next AmEx benefit reloaded my cash balance).

Today, I got my email from Uber to say that my $15 credit has arrived. The email explains that you have to access the credit via Uber Cash...which was nothing new. I went into the app to check to make sure it was there - and it appears to have reverted back to the old, pre-Uber Cash way. 

Not sure what happened, but I hope it stays this way. Smiley Wink 

You do know there's an option where you can say pay the excess over $15 with a different method/card, right? That way you're not making a driver wait up to a month to get a tip.

Message 2 of 3
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: Where'd my Uber Cash go? AmEx Platinum benefit and Uber Cash

Well, yes. For trips that go over the $15 charges, it then charges my CSR. But, for charges just under the $15, it won't charge my card. 

Two months ago, I took a ride that was $14.xx and I added a $3 tip. Ideally, I would think it would charge the $3-$0.yy difference to my card (it didn't.). The app apparently doesn't charge just the difference to my card if it's only the tip but prompts me to add more Uber Cash. Subsequent rides are charged in full to my card, instead of using up the remainder of the credit. Then, next month when I had a new credit added to Uber Cash, it took the $3-$0.yy difference and paid it out to the driver.  

This isn't an issue if I take a trip that is more than $15 (usually to the airport, but I like Lyft because I get 2x SM per mile travelled). Or, if the ride+tip is <$15. 

TL;DR I hate Uber Cash. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.