cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which CC type is more valuable or prestigious?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Which CC type is more valuable or prestigious?

I can understand a credit card being 'valuable' due to its perks, but to me I would say 'prestigious' is pushing it. 

I for one don't look at what other peoples credit cards are when say, for example, splitting a check for lunch 

If I was a merchant, I wouldn't care if it was a First Premier or a Visa Signature as long as it went through. 

I think perhaps a Centurion card would be mildly interesting to see 'in the flesh', so to speak. But really, a Visa Sig, or platinum? Prestigious? Millions of them out there. 

Even these $450 Annual fee cards. It's just clever marketing. $450 is really such a small amount of money that anyone can come up with it in a year. 

The only cards that are remotely 'prestigious' are those you cannot buy. I hear Centurion is invitation only.

You know what whould be prestigious to me? Something for example like a Purple Heart credit card. Only those who have received the Purple Heart need apply.  Whats even more ironic is that few would probably apply, even if they qualified 

Not intending to offend anyone, but just offering my perspective on 'prestige'. 

Message 21 of 41
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate your perspective. You're thinking that as long as a card is more exclusive, it may become more valuabe. Maybe not by virtue of your credit, but instead, something more noble?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 22 of 41
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

Visa Signature cards

or 

Platinum cards

I'm sure it varies by financial institution, so tell me your experience. I'd love to know which you find more valuable in your opinion. 

I know that what's most valuable depends on your own personal needs. I'm just trying to start a conversation.

It seems pretty clear to me that the most prestigious cards are Spiderman and Darth Vader.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 23 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

I appreciate your perspective. You're thinking that as long as a card is more exclusive, it may become more valuabe. Maybe not by virtue of your credit, but instead, something more noble?

You still have to flesh out the meaning of exclusive: like college admissions maybe  % apps accepted (not sure there is the equivalent of yield, % of those offered that accept!)

Otherwise some geographically restricted CUs are pretty impossible for most of us to get (without moving!) so they are certainly "exclusive" but I don't think they would be considered prestigious 

Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MontegoMack wrote:

Something that is earned with more than an annual fee. I have far, far more admiration for those who have served than someone with a super platinum megacard made from titanium. 

Seriously, who deserves more prestige? Someone who pays $450 (an amount so tiny, that it is barely 2% of what someone on unemployment gets in a year?)  Or someone who serves our country? 

Like I said, I can see value in these high AF cards, I do not see prestige. 

Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:
It seems pretty clear to me that the most prestigious cards are Spiderman and Darth Vader.

Now, you got me there!

Message 26 of 41
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Would you say that a card from USAA may be more prestigous in your opinion? By the notion that you have military service credentials to have a full access account with them, does that satisfy the prerequisite?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's amazing how marketing as the public so TWISTED, into NONSENSE....

Prestige based upon whom issued the card?
Really, they have us chasing THAT silly (no offense meant) notion..... for crying out loud!

It pains me and ticks me off that young ppl (& some old) get lead into these dark alleys of Pretend Land

What's next whose cape is more prestigious Batman or Superman.... it's a comic (besides Spiderman's uni is better everybody knows that😉)... my point being this is for the most part marketing gibberish.

Which makes you a BETTER player Nike or Reebok
Gatorade or is Powerade more valuable in your gym bag?

It's cute, when we're ribbing remembering how AmEx made a name and craved out a place for themselves with that old dude from the Streets of San Francisco TV show but we've moved on we are a grown up society.

No longer are we 1950s followers easily lead by slick marketing, aren't we?

Don't let these Ivy league fortune 500 schmucks fool you, friend.Even the names of these cards are for the EXACT same purpose of 'naming' and 'adopting' those ugly as Cabbage Patch Dolls during my childhood
Or Pet rocks before that....

To game the silly public

C'mon my Discover Card swipes just like my USAA card...no difference, could somebody paying great attention ask me about military service and give two snips about...sure IF THEY knew and recognized the card but what about other USAA members or other Navy Federal members that joined and have the same card in their wallets that I have in mine?

The VALUE (other than what ppl may debate regarding perks and points and rewards, which are all debatable) of a CC is does the freaking thing WORK for it's intended purpose.

IMO how is a 10k CC from the Four Seasons w/ gold foil more valuable or prestigious than one from Bert N Ernie's FCU w/ a 40k limit and better fees?

What actually defines what we're speaking of the marketing departments or what 'they'... whomever THEY are say?

Is the picture on the card?
Does it float?
Does it double as a flotation device?
What EXACTLY are we talking about?

Many cards can have high limits and miles and gimmicks but this idea that one is gonna pull a card out of your wallet and folks are gonna want to take pictures with it....is over!

Platinum
Black Cards

Yada yada yada it's a freaking CC folks, let's move on to crap that matters
Message 28 of 41
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

Which CC type is more valuable or prestigious? 

Prestige doesn't come from a card.   Many don't seem to utilize the benefits of the card tier despite their obsession over the tiers.

The tier isn't a priority for me.  My most valuable cards include a Visa Signature and a Visa Platinum as well as cards that are neither.  It's all about rewards on my spend -- not the tier, not trying to impress others by flashing a card, etc.

@MontegoMack wrote:

Yes, my AMEX platinum is $450, but my NFCU platinum doesn't have an AF at all. 

Don't conflate the AmEx Platinum charge card with the Visa or MasterCard Platinum tiers just because of the word platinum.

@MontegoMack wrote:

Would you say that a card from USAA may be more prestigous in your opinion? By the notion that you have military service credentials to have a full access account with them, does that satisfy the prerequisite?

Nope.  I'm a USAA member and I've never served.  I got my membership from my father who did serve.

Again, prestige is about the individual, not objects like a card.

@Anonymous wrote:
It's amazing how marketing as the public so TWISTED, into NONSENSE....

Prestige based upon whom issued the card?
Really, they have us chasing THAT silly (no offense meant) notion..... for crying out loud!

It's not just cards and it's not just creditors.  A lot of consumers think presitge comes from wearing the right labels or driving the right cars or living in the right neighborhoods, etc etc etc.  People are obsessed with brands.  Card brands and tiers are really just more of the same thing.  A lot of people derive their sense of self worth from their stuff.

A credit card is just a tool.  It does not change your status.  It does not make you better or worse.  It is not an asset and does not have value.  It's just a card.

Message 29 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Many cards can have high limits and miles and gimmicks but this idea that one is gonna pull a card out of your wallet and folks are gonna want to take pictures with it....is over!

Platinum
Black Cards

Yada yada yada it's a freaking CC folks, let's move on to crap that matters

I agree, but I think rebulders or new to credit want to monitor their progress towards "goodness", hence the endless discussions on prime, prestige etc, rather than focussing on "Which card(s) best fit my needs?"

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.