cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cards do you have that you consider to be absolutely irreplaceable?

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Which cards do you have that you consider to be absolutely irreplaceable?

Hi, I read with particular interest and fascination the 2 recent threads about if a person could only carry 1 or 2 cards, which would those be and why  Smiley Happy  For those of us who find it a little harder and/or are more nostalgic to let go of quite so many of our cards, I just thought it might be kinda fun to create a thread of what cards you have that you conside to be absolutely irreplaceable, why?

I'll start off lol:  due to the super-low, fixed- and variable-APRs, plus the fact that (most of) these card have great rewards programs (also some with no BT and/or cash advance fees), the cards I would definitely keep and consider irreplaceable would be:

(1)  Unify FCU Variable-Rate VISA:  4.99% V APRs for purchases, BT, and cash advances, plus no BT or cash advance fees.

(2)  BEFCU VISA:  5.49% F APR for purchases and BT, 1% rewards on all purchases, also with yearly temp promos of 2% - 4% rewards.

(3)  FNBO Amex:  6.25% V APR for purchases, plus uncapped 1.5% cashback rewards on all purchases (not to mention IME, great CL).

(4)  Dover FCU MC:  6.99% F APR on purchases and BT.

(5)  AOD FCU VISA:  7.49% F on purchases and BT, plus uncapped 3% cashback on all purchases.

(6)  PACU MC:  7.50% F on purchases and BT, plus uncapped 1.5% cashback on all purchases.

(7)  Unify FCU Fixed-Rate VISA:  8.99% F APRs for purchases, BT, and cash advances, plus no BT or cash advance fees.

(8)  BoA Customized Cash WMC:  9.99% F APR for purchases, plus selectable category rewards of 3.3% cashback (currently set for online shopping)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: Which cards do you have that you consider to be absolutely irreplaceable?

I love all of my cards, or I wouldn't keep them.  I just dumped my Hilton AMEX due to the low value I was seeing for the points.  Other than that, I love all of my children equally.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 6
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I couldn't tell you the APR on any of my cards. 

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 3 of 6
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

Hi, I read with particular interest and fascination the 2 recent threads about if a person could only carry 1 or 2 cards, which would those be and why  Smiley Happy  For those of us who find it a little harder and/or are more nostalgic to let go of quite so many of our cards, I just thought it might be kinda fun to create a thread of what cards you have that you conside to be absolutely irreplaceable, why?

I'll start off lol:  due to the super-low, fixed- and variable-APRs, plus the fact that (most of) these card have great rewards programs (also some with no BT and/or cash advance fees), the cards I would definitely keep and consider irreplaceable would be:

(1)  Unify FCU Variable-Rate VISA:  4.99% V APRs for purchases, BT, and cash advances, plus no BT or cash advance fees.

(2)  BEFCU VISA:  5.49% F APR for purchases and BT, 1% rewards on all purchases, also with yearly temp promos of 2% - 4% rewards.

(3)  FNBO Amex:  6.25% V APR for purchases, plus uncapped 1.5% cashback rewards on all purchases (not to mention IME, great CL).

(4)  Dover FCU MC:  6.99% F APR on purchases and BT.

(5)  AOD FCU VISA:  7.49% F on purchases and BT, plus uncapped 3% cashback on all purchases.

(6)  PACU MC:  7.50% F on purchases and BT, plus uncapped 1.5% cashback on all purchases.

(7)  Unify FCU Fixed-Rate VISA:  8.99% F APRs for purchases, BT, and cash advances, plus no BT or cash advance fees.

(8)  BoA Customized Cash WMC:  9.99% F APR for purchases, plus selectable category rewards of 3.3% cashback (currently set for online shopping)

I love how hyperfocused you are on APR. It always makes me smile. I also like low APRs and see it as a reward for maintaining excellent credit. Rewards are my first love, however.

I like your PACU mastercard the most. Fixed APR (which eventually when the Fed raises rates-and they really need to-this will stay low and all of your current lower variable rates will become higher than this) and I like the 1.5% cash back. 

For me, if I had to choose one of my own it would be my USAA Limitless Cash Rewards Visa card. 2.5% cash back on everything and it is a relative unicorn of a card.

As someone else said though, all of my cards, well almost all of them, are valuable to me or I wouldn't hang on to them. Whether it is due to CL, age, APR or rewards. 

Message 4 of 6
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

If I suddenly went mental and closed all my cards today, the first two I would re-apply for tomorrow would be my AMEX GOLD and CITI COSTCO. I would need an extra day to think about my Chase Amazon...

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 5 of 6
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Many thanks @BearsCubsOtters for your very kind and generous compliments, and for sharing your intriguing thoughts on your USAA Limitless card, you are 100% right it is definitely a unicorn for sure!  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.