Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is upgrading their iPhones?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Who is upgrading their iPhones?

I have no plans to upgrade the MIL's phone from the 8 plus. I have no desire to teach her about swiping so the best she'll get is maybe the 11, though she'll have a cow about the screen being smaller.

Message 31 of 59
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

I just want to point out that it's very difficult to get back on the upgrade train once you fall off. The system is designed to keep you wanting to upgrade (carrier invites, ads from Apple, etc.). That isn't the worst part for me. Usually, I would trade or sell my current phone to get the latest one. For the first time in a long time, I didn't upgrade after I got the iPhone X to next year's model. Naturally, after 2 years the value dropped exponentially. Now 3 years later, it's worth almost nothing. Knowing I have to plunk down over $1K for the model I want is making me very nervous about doing so on my tighter budget. 

I could do a trade-in with Apple for $240 and pay interest over the next 3-4 months as I work to pay it off...or I could buy it at Best Buy and not worry about interest at all but receive no money for my current phone (side benefit is I would have a backup).

It's tough but I so want Pacific Blue. Smiley Indifferent

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 32 of 59
wasCB14
Super Contributor

So I looked up what this new "LiDAR" feature could actually be used for, and it sounds like there are two main applications (at least for now):

1. Mapping out your floor and furniture and exporting the data to interior design software.

2. Making high-tech videos of people playing "the floor is lava".

I just don't get the excitement over new phones when those are the sorts of changes we've seen over the last 5 years.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 33 of 59
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@SecretAzure wrote:

I just want to point out that it's very difficult to get back on the upgrade train once you fall off. The system is designed to keep you wanting to upgrade (carrier invites, ads from Apple, etc.). That isn't the worst part for me. Usually, I would trade or sell my current phone to get the latest one. For the first time in a long time, I didn't upgrade after I got the iPhone X to next year's model. Naturally, after 2 years the value dropped exponentially. Now 3 years later, it's worth almost nothing. Knowing I have to plunk down over $1K for the model I want is making me very nervous about doing so on my tighter budget. 

I could do a trade-in with Apple for $240 and pay interest over the next 3-4 months as I work to pay it off...or I could buy it at Best Buy and not worry about interest at all but receive no money for my current phone (side benefit is I would have a backup).

It's tough but I so want Pacific Blue. Smiley Indifferent

Everyone has a different situation for phone. Some want the most updated phone, others can go 4 years without upgrading.

I upgrade every 24 months. My cell is my only phone. Being blind, I need stable and reliable. For security and emergency situations.

Camera upgrades are also important. Obviously I'm not taking pics, but I rely on camera for OCR and document reading. Each camera upgrade improves on that functionality.

Message 34 of 59
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

So I looked up what this new "LiDAR" feature could actually be used for, and it sounds like there are two main applications (at least for now):

1. Mapping out your floor and furniture and exporting the data to interior design software.

2. Making high-tech videos of people playing "the floor is lava".

I just don't get the excitement over new phones when those are the sorts of changes we've seen over the last 5 years.

Here are the changes that have been reported thus far with the latest phones.

1. Faster download speeds. Although 99.99999% of Americans are still outside of a 5G area, many are seeing a boost to their download speeds on LTE over last year's model just from the better chipset.
  2. Camera quality improvements. The changes don't seem as drastic (except on the Max) over last year's model but last year's model was lightyears ahead of the previous model. So over 5 years, you should notice a huge difference.
    1. Recording has been drastically improved as well, now being able to record in Dolby Vision (HDR).
  3. A new UWB chip to locate other products. This enables you to find other devices with this chip with such precision you can point your device towards around a room and it will indicate how far away and in what direction a missing device is. 
    1. They are soon going to be releasing AirTags which are little "Tile"-like devices you attach to things (such as your house keys) that enable you to find them when they're lost. This new chip will integrate with that. Let's say you attach it to your dog and your dog runs away, if someone near your dog has an iPhone, your phone will tell you where they are based on GPS. Once you're in near proximity, your phone will be able to use this new chip to point you to the exact location of the dog. 
  4. A faster processor. Looking at least year, it's not the most drastic jump (although it is as far as graphics is concerned). Looking at 2 or more years, again we're light years ahead. 
  5. LiDar. As you said, it's a gimmick at the moment but it could be useful in the future.
  6. MagSafe technology. A much more convenient and compact way to attach accessories to your phone without interrupting wireless charging capabilities. 
    1. Pop Socket is already working on a compatible device.
  7. Ceramic glass. The screen is now 4 times more resistant to cracks. 

So alltogether, it's not a drastic improvement over last year. I think if your phone is 2 years old is starts to look a whole lot better. Especially since battery life significantly improved on last year's model and the new models maintain that. If your phone is 3 years or older, you're not even in the same ballpark of quality. The new devices are simply better. My 3 year old phone is showing its age, albeit it is still working fine but some apps are taking longer and longer to open as they get updates to support new features. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 35 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

It looks like I'll get mine from Xfinity Mobile. They're offering $250 off for new lines with a port (monthly bill credits) or $250 off for existing customers who upgrade (gift card after 90 days of service). Doesn't expire until January so should be plenty of time to get it. BuyBackBoss is offering $380 for XS Max right now so assuming the offer doesn't drop between now and the 6th, I would only end up paying $469 for the phone in the end. 

Only downside is that it will be locked until I pay it off but it looks like there is nothing in the terms that say I have to actually finance if I'm upgrading where the new line offer says if you accelerate the payment process you forfeit remaining bill credits so the upgrade offer is actually better. I use an eSIM from a company called DENT for my mobile data at $5 per gigabyte on AT&T rather than pay $12 per GB from XMo since it rolls over unused data for 12 months. 

On the LiDAR scanner, it greatly accelerates focus speed on the camera apparently so there is a practical use for it. 

As for USB-C, I would love it too, but Apple probably rightly realizes that they'll piss off the non-techie group who has to go buy all new accessories with such a change just to come the next year with a port-free phone. 

On the performance front, the A14 preliminary benchmarks are 20-25% faster than the A13 which is a sizable jump and people are confused why Apple didn't make a bigger deal about it. 

Message 36 of 59
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ordered the new Iphone 12 Pro yesterday Carbon 128 gb version on Verizon from apple.  Just went with the installment agreement on verizon so no HP and trading in an XR I have $250 credit so approx 30ish a month will be payment thought about buying straight, but figured why when 0% financing with them and doesnt report.  When I ordered Verizons website took a crud and actually shocking enough apples was having issues as well.   Took about 25+ mins to get my order in, thankfully it appears they had more stock or possibly less demand that initially i thought although most are pushed out into november now.. I am guessing alot are also honestly waiting on the Iphone 12 mini that will be a hot one for people that dont want huge phones the 12 pro max was just to big for my pocket/hands and honestly just not practical.  So 12 pro fit the bill for me.  Dont really persay care about the camera to much as not going to edit photos, etc on my phone etc it is nice, but not the main reason to get the phone.  Though about buying the 11 pro or max as price tanked on verizon to 749 i believe, but figured although 5g isnt currently where i am future proof phone.  I didnt upgrade to 5g plan yet as would be pointless for time being until i travel early next year or 5g is where i live on verizon.

As always if I want to upgrade in another year if big difference between 12/13 I will just pay off the remaining balance and upgrade, etc..  I think this is the super cycle though due to ppl were holding off for 5g so they werent outdated.  Cant see the 13 being anything specials as the 12isnt really anything great other then the 5g and for me going from XR->12 pro is a worthwhile enough in performance/5g future proof and better camera than single

Message 37 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Ordered the new Iphone 12 Pro yesterday Carbon 128 gb version on Verizon from apple.  Just went with the installment agreement on verizon so no HP and trading in an XR I have $250 credit so approx 30ish a month will be payment thought about buying straight, but figured why when 0% financing with them and doesnt report.  When I ordered Verizons website took a crud and actually shocking enough apples was having issues as well.   Took about 25+ mins to get my order in, thankfully it appears they had more stock or possibly less demand that initially i thought although most are pushed out into november now.. I am guessing alot are also honestly waiting on the Iphone 12 mini that will be a hot one for people that dont want huge phones the 12 pro max was just to big for my pocket/hands and honestly just not practical.  So 12 pro fit the bill for me.  Dont really persay care about the camera to much as not going to edit photos, etc on my phone etc it is nice, but not the main reason to get the phone.  Though about buying the 11 pro or max as price tanked on verizon to 749 i believe, but figured although 5g isnt currently where i am future proof phone.  I didnt upgrade to 5g plan yet as would be pointless for time being until i travel early next year or 5g is where i live on verizon.

As always if I want to upgrade in another year if big difference between 12/13 I will just pay off the remaining balance and upgrade, etc..  I think this is the super cycle though due to ppl were holding off for 5g so they werent outdated.  Cant see the 13 being anything specials as the 12isnt really anything great other then the 5g and for me going from XR->12 pro is a worthwhile enough in performance/5g future proof and better camera than single

Congrats on the new phone CC!

Yeah I agree that this phone is going to drive a super cycle. I actually missed something when I was learning about these phones - Apple has futureproofed them on 5G networks too. It supports the bands that are going up for auction in addition to a number of bands that haven't been deployed for 5G yet so when Verizon and AT&T get the midband spectrum they're going to be bidding on up and running next year or 2022, the iPhones are the only devices people will have in 2020 that will work on the new networks. 

I actually ported out of Xfinity Mobile, port in is scheduled Monday morning at 6AM to Tello. Service costs me less than half what I was paying and now when I order my 12 Pro Max, I'll actually not need to be locked for 60 days without my data SIM. Did the math and over 24 months, Tello saves me $259 and the Apple Card 3% will save me another $42 so the $250 gift card deal is more than offset. 

My phone has all of a sudden decided to really be a jerk about battery so this upgrade can't get here soon enough. My last charge only lasted 4h15m. Smiley Frustrated

Hopefully this one will last me three years but we will see. I'm a really heavy user, averaging 13 1/2 hours a day, so the battery wear and tear is a lot more than for most people. 

Message 38 of 59
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Yeah I agree that this phone is going to drive a super cycle. I actually missed something when I was learning about these phones - Apple has futureproofed them on 5G networks too. It supports the bands that are going up for auction in addition to a number of bands that haven't been deployed for 5G yet so when Verizon and AT&T get the midband spectrum they're going to be bidding on up and running next year or 2022, the iPhones are the only devices people will have in 2020 that will work on the new networks. 

I actually ported out of Xfinity Mobile, port in is scheduled Monday morning at 6AM to Tello. Service costs me less than half what I was paying and now when I order my 12 Pro Max, I'll actually not need to be locked for 60 days without my data SIM. Did the math and over 24 months, Tello saves me $259 and the Apple Card 3% will save me another $42 so the $250 gift card deal is more than offset. 

My phone has all of a sudden decided to really be a jerk about battery so this upgrade can't get here soon enough. My last charge only lasted 4h15m. Smiley Frustrated

Hopefully this one will last me three years but we will see. I'm a really heavy user, averaging 13 1/2 hours a day, so the battery wear and tear is a lot more than for most people. 

Yep true on the 5g network as you mentioned read all about that stuff.. Ya hoping I will like the new iphone, but as mentioned probably just abe a bit quicker and an oled screen and a bit longer battery, but cant really complain about my XR battery to be honest.  

You certainly do use your phone alot each day.  Usually while working I have a few macbook near me whether it is my works macbook pro or my personal macbook air is what i am usually on rarely surf web etc on phone, but certainly use it for phone calls and text and apple car play etc.  Hope it last a few years as mentioned i dont think 13 will be a special year persay so 12 should be good for 2-3 years.

Message 39 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Yep true on the 5g network as you mentioned read all about that stuff.. Ya hoping I will like the new iphone, but as mentioned probably just abe a bit quicker and an oled screen and a bit longer battery, but cant really complain about my XR battery to be honest.  

You certainly do use your phone alot each day.  Usually while working I have a few macbook near me whether it is my works macbook pro or my personal macbook air is what i am usually on rarely surf web etc on phone, but certainly use it for phone calls and text and apple car play etc.  Hope it last a few years as mentioned i dont think 13 will be a special year persay so 12 should be good for 2-3 years.

Yeah the XR has some nice battery life. The XS Max was always pretty bad and it's just gotten worse with age (battery capacity is down to 85%). I was very tempted to go 11 Pro Max last year but I'm glad I held off. 

I'm always in my armchair so it's more convenient to use my phone than to pull out my laptop and I don't like browsing on the iPad Mini 5 very much so all of my use goes on the phone. Windows thin and light laptops are either really expensive or really cheap quality but MacBooks always run very hot so I am hopeful that the Apple Silicon transition finally addresses that issue and if so, I'll likely get one. That would cut down on a good bit of my iPhone usage time and the reduced wear and tear on the device would lead to me keeping it longer anyway. 

I am curious to see what naming scheme Apple goes with next year by the way. Can't be 13 because it's an unlucky number in many cultures. 😬 

Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.