Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I know how important credit repair can be

tag
John2
New Visitor

Why I know how important credit repair can be

Hey everyone, considering that most people seem to know their stuff on this forum I decided to ask for some advice and I guess partly to vent as well. Perhaps you can help me with something that has been eating at me for a while.

I am not going to suggest that I am with one of the most financially prudent people in the world, but when I found out what their credit score was (they say they never really checked it, even with the free credit advertisements you see everywhere) I have finally found that I am with one of the many people with relatively poor credit.

I have found that having poor credit means that we are going to be spending more in interest if we try to get ‘m a credit card, it means that we are going to be spending extra. They never checked for negative reporting, relevant information, or possible mistakes on their credit scores.

One of the reasons that is especially frustrating is because I have always tried to make sure that I keep my credit score relatively high. Even with student loans, we would spread them across my parents to ensure that the impact on my credit was not too bad. I have been good about paying credit cards etc. etc.

I guess my question is whether any of you have ever gone through things like that, whether a significant other was just careless about their credit and how you fixed it. We are currently looking at possible credit repair options but not sure what to trust on that front. Do you have any advice about possible steps to take next? 

Has anyone ever used Modcut to remove link to Credit repair site.   Shogun...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
srchick
Regular Contributor

Re: Why I know how important credit repair can be

John2, you asked for help so I will be upfront and give you my opinion on the subject. First and foremost, you have to have a frank discussion with "yourself". By that I mean you must decide if the lack of observation/caring about credit issues within your partner is something you can work on together to turn around positively, or decide if it is a deal breaker to your relationship. I let years of poor, illadvised financial decisions almost wreck my life, and of course my credit scores reflected it. Part of the time I had a partner, but I can't blame him because in the end they were MY own bad decisions. That's how I ended up on a forum such as myfico because I finally had enough denials and negative feedback to finally say "enough already"! When I began to fully focus on turning things around, I started with a "568" score in Feb 2013. I am now scoring 637 on myfico, 653 TU, and 600 EXP. I have not spent one dime on a "credit repair" company because I've done all the work of disputing, letter writing, paying off collections, etc. etc. etc. What you have to do IMMEDIATELY is to make your partner understand that credit affects so many aspects of your life that having a high score is not pie in the sky, it's life altering. In 2014, you can't rent an apartment, buy a cellphone, GET A JOB, or turn on utilities without your credit being run. You certainly can't think about buying a home, buying furniture for the home, etc. etc. without your credit being pulled. I'm simply trying to share my experience with you so hopefully you can reach a positive outcome with your partner. I'm at the point now for all my efforts at rebuilding it has become a hobby. All of the time I used to waste on Facebook I now apply to checking my accts with the free score places to see if my numbers have changed! Sorry to have been so wordy, but I hope I have been of help. Good luck to you, and please post a future update.

Starting Score Feb. 2013: 568
Current Scores: TU (715) {Myfico} EQ {Myfico} (723) EX (751)
Goal Scores: All at 750 by 3rd Qtr 2016 (Before tackling 800's) Don't procrastinate, take the first step!
Message 2 of 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Smiley LOL

John2 is the OP not Shogun.....Lol

Good info contained in your post tho 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 5
srchick
Regular Contributor

LOL! I know I must get new eyeglasses! After I wrote my post, I saw that I addressed it to "Shogun", then tried to edit it but it was too late! At any rate, I hope it helps to share some of my "life experience" with someone else.  Be blessed.

Starting Score Feb. 2013: 568
Current Scores: TU (715) {Myfico} EQ {Myfico} (723) EX (751)
Goal Scores: All at 750 by 3rd Qtr 2016 (Before tackling 800's) Don't procrastinate, take the first step!
Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@srchick wrote:

LOL! I know I must get new eyeglasses! After I wrote my post, I saw that I addressed it to "Shogun", then tried to edit it but it was too late! At any rate, I hope it helps to share some of my "life experience" with someone else.  Be blessed.

Heh yeah though the one saving grace in Cali is that unless I work for a finance shop involved with the money, I cannot get my credit pulled as a condition of employment. 

That might've allowed me to get a job or two I might not have otherwise Smiley Wink.  Can't for auto insurance either.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.