cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why aren't there more "cool" CC designs?

tag
jlitnns
Established Contributor

Re: Why aren't there more "cool" CC designs?

@Moneyklutz wrote:

Your thread made me ponder a bit then I remembered Cap 1 allows you to upload a custom pic for any of their cards...

Sooo... a quick phone pic and a subsequent upload later means I'll have the smiling face (grumpybutt) of my dumb cat adorning my QS card to admire and foist upon all that care to see.

You're the best BBS, thank you for making my card 'cool'  Smiley Tongue 

I did this years ago with my first Cap1 card and even though I closed it I kept the card because I though it was a neat idea and I love that card. Has a special place in my heart.

Message 31 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jlitnns wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the replies thus far everyone, but I'm not really hearing an answer above as to why CCCs don't take looks into consideration more in terms of attracting new customers and making more profits.

Honda may make some of the "best" cars in the world in terms of reliability, but if they didn't look good [to the people that buy them] how much do you think their profits would suffer?

When it comes to product sales, any product really, I think it would be very difficult to make the argument that a less aesthetically pleasing version would generate more profits than a better looking version.  Now, if a better looking version costs more to produce (or more relative to the additional expected profits) I get not doing it. 

These don't need to be earth-shattering, costly differences.  You don't need a card made out of 14K gold or with a diamond border here.  A card with some glittery crap could be a huge hit for younger females, for example.  Maybe something that had mirror effects.  Maybe a piece of plastic that changes colors depending on temperature.  I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here. 

I noticed that American Eagle Outfitters has redesigned their card to go with the new rewards program I suppose (The new rewards program sucks in comparison to the old). I think the new design is an effort to attract younger people. 

imageimage

This new design appears to be iridescent which seems to be really popular now

Is it bad that I kind of like that?

No haha, it is just not my cup of tea. The old one had a teal bezel which I love

Message 32 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call me simple but when I think "cool card design" immediately the amazon prime visa comes to mind

Plain black card with a silver visa logo.  Quite literally my definition of simple but cool.

Wish all my cards looked like that.  My Quicksilver is probably the coolest looking card i have, for my tastes anyway, followed by the capital one platinum, but I am a sucker for silvers and blacks.

Message 33 of 51
jlitnns
Established Contributor

I agree. Amazon Visa is simple and slick. And I was just thinking today how nice looking the Quicksilver is.

I also like the Amex BC cards, the transparency is kinda cool.

Message 34 of 51
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

Interesting.  I'm as much a tactile guy.  Most cards I've used (a small sample -- maybe a dozen over 35 years) are unremarkable in that regard, but three stand out of late:

1) The Discover it card, which has a roughed-up texture that I really like

2) The Chase Sapphire Preferred - my only 'premium' card, which has a nice heft to it

3) The Amex Blue Cash Everyday, which I find nasty - flimsy & slippery.  And a beyotch to read if the light isn't just right (no disrespect to jlitnns, above - we can agree to disagree Smiley Happy).

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 35 of 51
jlitnns
Established Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

Interesting.  I'm as much a tactile guy.  Most cards I've used (a small sample -- maybe a dozen over 35 years) are unremarkable in that regard, but three stand out of late:

1) The Discover it card, which has a roughed-up texture that I really like

2) The Chase Sapphire Preferred - my only 'premium' card, which has a nice heft to it

3) The Amex Blue Cash Everyday, which I find nasty - flimsy & slippery.  And a beyotch to read if the light isn't just right (no disrespect to jlitnns, above - we can agree to disagree Smiley Happy).

Haha, I could see the BC cards being tough to read, I've only really used it for gas so no problems there. And I do like the Discover It cards, the texture is cool, I got the maroon one and it is a slick looking card.

Robot Very Happy

Message 36 of 51
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

An additional detail that I find useful is the orange border -- makes the Discover that much easier to distinguish from other cards.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 37 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the Chase Amazon Prime Visa looking so slick and nice. It's my favorite card right now. Chase really has made some really nice looking cards over the years. Also, as others have stated, Discover having that orange "rim" makes it easy to distinguish when reaching in your wallet.

Message 38 of 51
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I love the way my Discover Pride card looks. The colors make me so happy. 

My Amex BCP is such an ugly duckling. I use to think it was a cool card design, but now I wish they would revamp the look. 

Message 39 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barbaralee wrote:

I love the way my Discover Pride card looks. The colors make me so happy. 

My Amex BCP is such an ugly duckling. I use to think it was a cool card design, but now I wish they would revamp the look. 

Personally I think the BCP would look a bit better if the card didn't become so "foggy" after some time. It seems as if the card becomes less transparent as it ages. If the card was 100% transparent I would think it's a great design. 

Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.