cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people sign the back of their CC?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Why do people sign the back of their CC?

Aside from the credit card, merchant, and end user agreement, what happens if a person loses his ID?  

1.  If every merchants goes with check ID, does this mean I can't use my card though Amex has overnighted me a replacement until my State's DMV furnishes me with a replacement, which could take 4-6 weeks?

2.  Further to point one, what if I'm far from home without access to funds, do I wait for my photo ID to use my card, or hitch hike home?

3. Who decides whom to ID?  Either, we ID everyone, or ID no one.

4. Further to point 3, are we to allow POS (minimum wage employees, not to disparage minimum wage) to determine on a subjective basis whom to ID, and whom not to? 

5. On what basis should that judgement be made?  On their whim?  If the person looks like a CC thief?  Or, if the person gives a plausible explanation?

6. Finally, what ID should be used?  What about users from other contries without US gov't IDs?  Is an Antartica Gov't research ID acceptable?  Who decides?

And, if Federal law dictates one can't be "ID'ed" to vote for people who will decided the fate of all of us, we're going to "check ID" for everyone who purchases a bag of MMs from Target?

I often wonder if the "See ID" proponents ever consider the potential untintended consequecnes of what they think is a good idea.

Message 51 of 53
red259
Super Contributor

@chwebb1 wrote:

My Barclaycard and Citi cards both say "Authorized Signature / Not valid unless signed" on the back of them. That's the biggest reason I sign them. Also, it's part of your cardmember agreement, which is the contract you have to agree to in order to use your card. Big reason number 2. Reason number 3 is that showing your ID to random people puts you at risk for identity theft. You just showed your DOB, DMV customer number, and mailing address to someone for no reason other than you didn't want to sign your card. Also, if a theif picks up an unsigned card, they can easily sign their signature to the back of your card so that it will match to the people who actually check. That's reason 4.

So I have a MUCH better question: Why DON'T you sign the back of your cards?

+1 When I worked as a teller with Chase in college we always required signature. Always. I don't really want to be showing merchants my id either. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 52 of 53
Open123
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

My Barclaycard and Citi cards both say "Authorized Signature / Not valid unless signed" on the back of them. That's the biggest reason I sign them. Also, it's part of your cardmember agreement, which is the contract you have to agree to in order to use your card. Big reason number 2. Reason number 3 is that showing your ID to random people puts you at risk for identity theft. You just showed your DOB, DMV customer number, and mailing address to someone for no reason other than you didn't want to sign your card. Also, if a theif picks up an unsigned card, they can easily sign their signature to the back of your card so that it will match to the people who actually check. That's reason 4.

So I have a MUCH better question: Why DON'T you sign the back of your cards?

+1 When I worked as a teller with Chase in college we always required signature. Always. I don't really want to be showing merchants my id either. 

Likewise, I've never been thrilled with showing strangers my DL.  It has my b'day, address, and a bunch of information I'd rather they not have.  These days, I just have my PO Box on my DL, and feel more at ease in showing it.

No need for anyone to privy to where I live.

Message 53 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.