cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do people sign the back of their CC?

tag
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: Why do people sign the back of their CC?

Is it possible to have your CC set up to require your pin by default?

I used to work fast food and some people's cards had to have a PIN, even when ran as credit.

EDIT: I accidentially said debit not credit LOL

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 41 of 53
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

This might be a dumb question but do Chip and Pin cards even have the line to sign on the back?

Message 42 of 53
chwebb1
Established Contributor

My Barclaycard and Citi cards both say "Authorized Signature / Not valid unless signed" on the back of them. That's the biggest reason I sign them. Also, it's part of your cardmember agreement, which is the contract you have to agree to in order to use your card. Big reason number 2. Reason number 3 is that showing your ID to random people puts you at risk for identity theft. You just showed your DOB, DMV customer number, and mailing address to someone for no reason other than you didn't want to sign your card. Also, if a theif picks up an unsigned card, they can easily sign their signature to the back of your card so that it will match to the people who actually check. That's reason 4.

So I have a MUCH better question: Why DON'T you sign the back of your cards?

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 43 of 53
samm90
New Contributor

I sign them with a sharpie when I get one. I work a cash register and it seams about a third sign, a third put See ID and a third leave blank.

I almost didn't sign my BCE because it is clear.
Discover Tu 730(2/14) DCU Eq 725(2/28)

Bouncing back from new accts and inqs. Hope to be back over 760 soon.
Message 44 of 53
arjames01
Contributor

When I worked at Macy's throughout college we would not accept a card that wasn't signed UNLESS you had your ID on you. You wouldn't believe how many people don't carry their drivers license, it was always odd. If they didn't have the ID we would state we couldn't process the purchase.

11/2013- EX 690, EQ 763, TU 694
01/2015- EX 781, EQ 775, TU 777

Chase Freedom $7500, AMEX BCE $6000
Message 45 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA Federal Savings Bank has a Chip & Pin Card. They also have the magnetic strip and a signature panel for those times when Chip & Pin is not acceptable.
Message 46 of 53
Mike_C
Administrator Emeritus

I always write "See ID" on the backs of my cards. Most of the time this is ignored and the card is swiped, but I always am grateful to those that ask to see my ID.

Message 47 of 53
k84
Valued Member

@Mike_C wrote:

I always write "See ID" on the backs of my cards. Most of the time this is ignored and the card is swiped, but I always am grateful to those that ask to see my ID.

Which is a violation of your card agreement. Visa also has this mentioned on the merchant site at http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/card_present.html#anchor_6

If the card has a “See ID” in place of a signature…

1. Request a signature. Ask the cardholder to sign the card and provide current government identification, such as a driver's license or passport (if local law permits).
  2. Check the signature. Be sure that the signature on the card matches the one on the transaction receipt and the additional identification.

Basically everything in the current system revolves around the signature. If your card isn't signed the merchants aren't supposed to accept it unless you sign it.

As for ID, I report all merchants that ask for ID. Visa and Mastercard both have online reporting forms just for that. Their merchant agreement says they only need to look at the signature and make sure it matches what you signed. The current rules say I don't need to prove who I am to make a purchase as long as the card is signed.

This is why chip and PIN is needed in this country. Too many people not following the rules.

FICO: EQ: 749 | EX: 754 | TU: 776    FAKO: EQ+: 728 | EX+: 728, EX CS: 787 | TU+: 737, TU CK: 754    Gardening until 1/31/2014
Message 48 of 53
k84
Valued Member

@Startome wrote:

Is it possible to have your CC set up to require your pin by default?

Most US banks don't provide a PIN function for credit cards at all. Some do, but they usually allow a signature to override the need to supply a PIN anyway which defeats the purpose.

I asked Chase recently about adding a PIN to my cards with them and they said their system doesn't support it.

FICO: EQ: 749 | EX: 754 | TU: 776    FAKO: EQ+: 728 | EX+: 728, EX CS: 787 | TU+: 737, TU CK: 754    Gardening until 1/31/2014
Message 49 of 53
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I hardly sign the back of my cards personally because I don't believe it helps with anything, but places like the post office will not accept the card unless signed, thats why always try to use the self serve machine when possible. And while you are supposed to sign the back of your cards as all of you have shown us in the credit card agreements, its also in the merchant agreements the last time I checked, merchants aren't supposed to ask for any ID with any transaction with a signed credit card and also not supposed to deny any transaction if the CC user decides to not provide ID but they do, why does no merchants follow this Merchant Agreement rule? Almost every time I use my CC I am asked to provide valid ID. But thats a topic to be discussed in a different thread.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 50 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.