Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wait for Costco Gas??

tag
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Why wait for Costco Gas??

I see long lines at Costco Gas stations and I always wonder the reason. Gas stations around each Costco have just about the same rates, Costco CC gives its multiplier on all gas not just Costco gas soooo what's the appeal?

Anyone?

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why wait for Costco Gas??

You must live in unique area. I have lived in large cities all over the country and Costco gas is consistently at least 10cents per gallon cheaper than the major chains. Other warehouse and grocery store gas gets close but Costco still wins.

Also the Costco credit card gives 4% back on gas.

If you live somewhere that you don’t have to wait in lines and still get those prices, you’re lucky.

Message 2 of 10
wasCB14
Super Contributor

It's convenient. I buy most groceries there, anyway.

The equipment is generally well-maintained and easy to use.

In some markets it can be significantly cheaper.

I also don't do a ton of driving, so if the line is very long I can usually just wait until my next Costco stop to fill up.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

usually 10-15 cents cheaper a gallon and I also wait until my tank empty.

Message 4 of 10
Andypanda
Established Contributor

I fill up when i gonto costco. Usuallu abo10 cents cheaper. I usually shop and fill up on mondays, so it is not as busy as a Friday, Saturday or sunday. I also time it so i get to the pump about 5 to 19 minutes before the store opens, so there’s very little wait for gas.

Message 5 of 10
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

Totally makes sense in markets where it is cheaper, absolutely. As one poster pointed out, I am apparently not in one of those markets and haven't been for a while in a few locations so I didn't think of that.

However, assuming prices are at least similar, lets just say within 5c, what's the advantage? Esp with Costco CC still giving 4% on all gas, not just theirs. 

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im my market, it’s usually 10-15c cheaper. I never have been in a line to use one more than 2 minutes.

I think it’s nicer than Kroger gas in my area because I don’t generate enough spend at Kroger to get a discount. So I can essentially prepay to get a sustained discount.
Message 7 of 10
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You must live in unique area. I have lived in large cities all over the country and Costco gas is consistently at least 10cents per gallon cheaper than the major chains. Other warehouse and grocery store gas gets close but Costco still wins.

If you live somewhere that you don’t have to wait in lines and still get those prices, you’re lucky.

I always was fascinated at the psychology of this with people. At 10 cents/gallon cheaper, a 15 gallon fillup is a difference of $1.50 cheaper, and yet people will wait in line 10 minutes, 15 minutes for it? I don't live anywhere near a Costco per se, but whenever a place runs a promotion on cheap gas, the lines invariably form.

It's similar to free ice cream day or free sandwich day at some chain. People will queue for hours to get something that's effectively worth maybe $3. Is this really how little people value their time?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I always was fascinated at the psychology of this with people. At 10 cents/gallon cheaper, a 15 gallon fillup is a difference of $1.50 cheaper, and yet people will wait in line 10 minutes, 15 minutes for it? I don't live anywhere near a Costco per se, but whenever a place runs a promotion on cheap gas, the lines invariably form.

It's similar to free ice cream day or free sandwich day at some chain. People will queue for hours to get something that's effectively worth maybe $3. Is this really how little people value their time?

Well I'm already there. I shop at Costco several times a week so I have never waited more than 5 minutes. You don't actually have to go when there is a line. Also have a business that depends on cheap gas and Costco merchanise so its way more than $1.50 savings for me.

Message 9 of 10
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Costco just opened a new and larger store in my city.  They effective doubled the number of pumps at the gas station.  I haven't waited for a pump since.  Now that I have a Costco MC (2% cash back, no fee), it is a simple tap & go instead of the old way - "put in you member card, then put in your payment card, then enter your code".

Why do I use Costco gas? - its a Top Tier gas with the best detergents.  2ndly, its very close to being the cheapest in town for both regular and premium fuel.  In fact the premium fuel (which I use) is about the same price as what others charge for regular!  I get much better mileage than the 10% ethanol gas when I use premium and I don't have the water absorbtion issue any more.  The water absorbtion used to be so bad in the winter (Shell) that the gas actually began to phase separate and the car wouldn't start.  3rdly, Costco buys their product from the local refinery.  4th, after the gas fill, I go to the store and buy my groceries right away.

What I don't like is that they don't have any towels for checking the oil and they don't have squeegies for cleaning the windshield but the traffic turnover is very fast.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.