cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your biggest buy on Amex npsl charge card?

tag
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

Your biggest buy on Amex npsl charge card?

Fun topic.

What was your largest single purchase on your Amex charge card, largest balance for 1 month and the highest amount you checked to see if it would go through?

largest transaction $8,000.00

largest monthly balance $10,500.00

largest successful check spending limit attempt $14,000.00 (just now)

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Your biggest buy on Amex npsl charge card?

I don't have an AMEX charge card but I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to check their spending limit. AMEX has been known to conduct FRs when people use that tool too much or are checking high amounts. 

Message 2 of 26
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have an AMEX charge card but I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to check their spending limit. AMEX has been known to conduct FRs when people use that tool too much or are checking high amounts. 

Interesting. A while back I played with the "check spending limit" tool a bit even though I had no plans to make a large purchase. I tried increasing amounts until I got up to $40k and they were still approving. I can see where this would look like spooky behavior to them. I stopped at 40k because I didn't want to hit the point where they said "no".  Luckily I don't think I triggered anything with them, but I'll stop playing around with the tool.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FlaDude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Interesting. A while back I played with the "check spending limit" tool a bit even though I had no plans to make a large purchase. I tried increasing amounts until I got up to $40k and they were still approving. I can see where this would look like spooky behavior to them. I stopped at 40k because I didn't want to hit the point where they said "no".  Luckily I don't think I triggered anything with them, but I'll stop playing around with the tool.

It's not a sure fire way to get a FR but it can get your account flagged and reviewed by the team who does FRs. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-The-Check-Spending-Power-tool/m-p/5480016/highlight/true#M1618005

Message 4 of 26
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

I would actually hope they give me a financial review. Then maybe theyll stop shutting my account down..  :-)

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 5 of 26
wasCB14
Super Contributor

$6k on charge.

$40k business revolver, spread out across multiple transactions a few minutes apart.

I don't play around with the check spending tool.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 26
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Smiley Surprised I played with it.  (it looked fun)

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 7 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

@tparks5961 wrote:

Fun topic.

What was your largest single purchase on your Amex charge card, largest balance for 1 month and the highest amount you checked to see if it would go through?

largest transaction $8,000.00

largest monthly balance $10,500.00

largest successful check spending limit attempt $14,000.00 (just now)

I've only had an American Express card for just over a year, but I'd say the largest purchase was about $3,000 for airfare (x2 since the airlines tend to run each ticket as a separate transaction). I've never checked my spending power.

I did once run $15,000 on a single transaction through a Chase MileagePlus card once for a loose diamond to set in an engagement ring. PIF'd it like a NPSL so it kinda counts?

Message 8 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Personal gold classic

Largest charge: 11,286.88

Largest monthly balance: 52000

Spend power: it didn't exist back then because they never declined charges

Message 9 of 26
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Personal gold classic

Largest charge: 11,286.88

Largest monthly balance: 52000

Spend power: it didn't exist back then because they never declined charges

Now that's Gucci!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.