cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your biggest buy on Amex npsl charge card?

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Your biggest buy on Amex npsl charge card?

@GApeachy wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Personal gold classic

Largest charge: 11,286.88

Largest monthly balance: 52000

Spend power: it didn't exist back then because they never declined charges

Now that's Gucci!

I went MC Hammer with my friends. 🤷‍♂️

Message 11 of 26
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Is this personal, business or both?

Message 12 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Let's see both

Message 13 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

Let's see both

Business spend is just going to be corporate salesbros vs. small business owners for seeing who can rack up the most expenses on OPM in a month. That's going to get boring fast. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 26
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Let's see both

okies

Personal

largest charge - $42000

largest balance - $51000

This was last year's trip to Mexico with me, fiancee, and her two friends; they gave me the money for their half after the trip but it was all put on one card to make it easier. The large charge was the hotel through AMEX FHR and paid everything on the Platinum (flights, hotel, eating, shopping, etc.) when possible which made it the largest balance, too

Business

largest charge - $96000 (this was because there were two orders for hep C I believe which came in at $32k-33k a piece plus usual shipment)

largest balance - ~$400000

Note that the business spend is for me and my fiancee's pharmacy stores. Pharmaceuticals, overhead, inventory like DME, software licenses, monthly bills, and so on they add up. Since there isn't a decent high reward non-category spender a lot of it gets put on biz Plat just for the spending power. It won't be that high ever again with shift in spend into BofA with Premium Rewads cards for that sweet 2.625% return

Message 15 of 26
FlaDude
Established Contributor

Personal gold classic

That must have been a long time ago. I know as far back as 1995 or so that they declined charges. I've told this story on another thread a while back, but here goes. I had had the Gold card a little over a year and changed jobs where I went from 1-2 trips a month to a lot more than that. A typical week of travel was around $1500 including airfare, car, gas, hotel, meals. Towards the end of my first month on the new job, I landed in a far city on Sunday evening, went to get my rental car, and my card was declined. I called Amex and they said "my spending was outside of my normal pattern" so they had put a hold on my card until the credit department (which worked normal business hours) could review it Monday morning. After a bit of pleading (probably sounded more like whining) the CSR agreed to allow the car rental, but not my hotel. At the time I had no other cards but my debit on a near empty checking account. When I got to the hotel I explained and they let me stay the first night on what cash I had on hand (most of one night's rate) with the understanding that I'd work it out the next day. Called Amex credit dept. on Monday morning and they upped my internal limit, everything was good again, and I've had no problems since other than a stray 30 day late here and there.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 16 of 26
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

said "my spending was outside of my normal pattern" 

That's why I don't do nothing "normal"  or do do anything "normal" too!  Seriously, make the 'puters smokeSmiley LOL 

Naw, that's really a good safe-guard to have in place until something like that^^^ out of town mess happens.  Thank goodness for text messages now, Discover is real good about asking, "Was this XXXXXXX you?" Reply yes or noSmiley Very Happy

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 17 of 26
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@GApeachy wrote:

@FlaDude wrote:

That's why I don't do nothing "normal"  or do do anything "normal" too!  Seriously, make the 'puters smokeSmiley LOL 

Naw, that's really a good safe-guard to have in place until something like that^^^ out of town mess happens.  Thank goodness for text messages now, Discover is real good about asking, "Was this XXXXXXX you?" Reply yes or noSmiley Very Happy

Having cards with available balance from at least two or three different issuers is part of my travel plan since then, but at the time my financial situation was pretty tight and cards weren't as easy to come by. The new "job" I mentioned was actually working as an independent contractor, so no company to fall back on.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 18 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FlaDude wrote:

Personal gold classic

That must have been a long time ago. I know as far back as 1995 or so that they declined charges. I've told this story on another thread a while back, but here goes. I had had the Gold card a little over a year and changed jobs where I went from 1-2 trips a month to a lot more than that. A typical week of travel was around $1500 including airfare, car, gas, hotel, meals. Towards the end of my first month on the new job, I landed in a far city on Sunday evening, went to get my rental car, and my card was declined. I called Amex and they said "my spending was outside of my normal pattern" so they had put a hold on my card until the credit department (which worked normal business hours) could review it Monday morning. After a bit of pleading (probably sounded more like whining) the CSR agreed to allow the car rental, but not my hotel. At the time I had no other cards but my debit on a near empty checking account. When I got to the hotel I explained and they let me stay the first night on what cash I had on hand (most of one night's rate) with the understanding that I'd work it out the next day. Called Amex credit dept. on Monday morning and they upped my internal limit, everything was good again, and I've had no problems since other than a stray 30 day late here and there.

There was always a chance of a decline, but for the most part, as long as you didn't go gonzo, they let you be. Maybe a phone call asking if you were planning to make a payment soon if the balance got really high. In your case, it was fraud prevention, not an internal limit issue, which is what's common today. 

Message 19 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@GApeachy wrote:

@FlaDude wrote:

I tend to max my cards soon after I get them. I'll carry a large balance for a few months with heavy charges and large payments. Shows that it'll get paid. Never had AA or balance chasing when carrying a large balance for an extended (12+ months) period of time. While I try to pay all cards in full every month, I don't need them side eyeing me if I decide to pay for something I can't.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.