cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your biggest buy on Amex npsl charge card?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Your biggest buy on Amex npsl charge card?

Fun topic.

What was your largest single purchase on your Amex charge card, largest balance for 1 month and the highest amount you checked to see if it would go through?

largest transaction $8,000.00

largest monthly balance $10,500.00

largest successful check spending limit attempt $14,000.00 (just now)

Last Inquiry 1/16/2020 (BBT Bright Business Visa $15,000.00)
Fico Score Progression :
10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540
2/6/2020 EQ 736 TU 736 EX 721
In the garden till 11/1/2020
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Your biggest buy on Amex npsl charge card?

I don't have an AMEX charge card but I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to check their spending limit. AMEX has been known to conduct FRs when people use that tool too much or are checking high amounts. 

Message 2 of 26
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@Saeren wrote:

I don't have an AMEX charge card but I just wanted to point out that I don't think it's a good idea to encourage people to check their spending limit. AMEX has been known to conduct FRs when people use that tool too much or are checking high amounts. 

Interesting. A while back I played with the "check spending limit" tool a bit even though I had no plans to make a large purchase. I tried increasing amounts until I got up to $40k and they were still approving. I can see where this would look like spooky behavior to them. I stopped at 40k because I didn't want to hit the point where they said "no".  Luckily I don't think I triggered anything with them, but I'll stop playing around with the tool.

Scores: Spt 20: EX FICO8 831, TU FICO8 828, EQ FICO8 823
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Slate, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Prosper (20k/3yrs 7.14%), Lending Club (10k/3yrs 5.89%), Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 3 of 26
Highlighted
Super Contributor

@FlaDude wrote:

@Saeren wrote:

Interesting. A while back I played with the "check spending limit" tool a bit even though I had no plans to make a large purchase. I tried increasing amounts until I got up to $40k and they were still approving. I can see where this would look like spooky behavior to them. I stopped at 40k because I didn't want to hit the point where they said "no".  Luckily I don't think I triggered anything with them, but I'll stop playing around with the tool.

It's not a sure fire way to get a FR but it can get your account flagged and reviewed by the team who does FRs. 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Amex-The-Check-Spending-Power-tool/m-p/5480016/highlig...

Message 4 of 26
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I would actually hope they give me a financial review. Then maybe theyll stop shutting my account down..  :-)

Last Inquiry 1/16/2020 (BBT Bright Business Visa $15,000.00)
Fico Score Progression :
10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540
2/6/2020 EQ 736 TU 736 EX 721
In the garden till 11/1/2020
Message 5 of 26
Highlighted
Super Contributor

$6k on charge.

$40k business revolver, spread out across multiple transactions a few minutes apart.

I don't play around with the check spending tool.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
SUB: JetBlue, Amex Platinum
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 6 of 26
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Smiley Surprised I played with it.  (it looked fun)

”MY TAKE HOME PAY DON’T TAKE ME HOME”
Message 7 of 26
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@tparks5961 wrote:

Fun topic.

What was your largest single purchase on your Amex charge card, largest balance for 1 month and the highest amount you checked to see if it would go through?

largest transaction $8,000.00

largest monthly balance $10,500.00

largest successful check spending limit attempt $14,000.00 (just now)

I've only had an American Express card for just over a year, but I'd say the largest purchase was about $3,000 for airfare (x2 since the airlines tend to run each ticket as a separate transaction). I've never checked my spending power.

I did once run $15,000 on a single transaction through a Chase MileagePlus card once for a loose diamond to set in an engagement ring. PIF'd it like a NPSL so it kinda counts?

Message 8 of 26
Highlighted
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Personal gold classic

Largest charge: 11,286.88

Largest monthly balance: 52000

Spend power: it didn't exist back then because they never declined charges

Message 9 of 26
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Personal gold classic

Largest charge: 11,286.88

Largest monthly balance: 52000

Spend power: it didn't exist back then because they never declined charges

Now that's Gucci!

”MY TAKE HOME PAY DON’T TAKE ME HOME”
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.