Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone else notice this correlation?

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

anyone else notice this correlation?

People with low scores and/or past BK's post up about financing expensive luxury auto's? Most of the time for ridiculous terms!

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: anyone else notice this correlation?

No BK but my vehicle is 8 years old and paid for.  I keep the DW in new vehicles, but my 2005 Cadillac still purs like she was new.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 20
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Cars are a very emotional purchase, for some.

I believe there are times we try buying back a piece of our identity following a setback instead of really dealing with the grieving process. Houses, cars, relationships, shopping, etc... can be a part of it.

I don't know if there's any BK correlation but people with a significant negative item are going to get higher interest rates.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 20
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

I've noticed the same thing you have, OP. I have to bite my tongue sometimes to avoid saying, OMG, you're going to end up right back in the soup again!

Message 4 of 20
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

what do you consider luxury?  alot of people tel me my car is luxury. 

the worst part is financing a large amount on little down payment for an insane interest rate! 

they got a feel for it and once they lose it they want it back and will sign their life away for it. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 5 of 20
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

definition of luxury vehicles can differ from one person to the next, but i'd say depending on the make and model a luxury vehicle is going to be relatively expensive compared to other makes and models, offer most all bell's and whistles, and be of a known expensive manufacturer. I see a lot of people having credit issues and the first they do is go out and finance a $50,000+ vehicle at 18% for 7yrs.  To each their own, but come on they must've learned something from what they went through.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 6 of 20
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

Ive not noticed any correlations but I see a lot of people on here that are trying to get approved for expensive vehicles are willing to pay. Now thats fine if you want to pay a huge amout of money to drive but it makes no sense to me. I did buy a new car, but I bought the cheapest model mazda offered besides the one without air conditioning.

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 7 of 20
starry1
Valued Contributor

No, because I was just discharged last week and financed a 2011 Dodge Caliber since the only other vehicle I have is 14 years old and has been sitting in the driveway since last May with a busted transmission. Yes, my interest rate is ridiculous, and I hope to refi with Navy towards the end of this year.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 8 of 20
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

Hmmm, as another posted, I think the definition of luxury (in some respects) is subjective. There are some people who think anything over 25k is luxury (which I don't). Also, there are some luxury manufacturers who have some vehicles that are less expensive - example, for most people they would consider a Mercedes Benz a luxury vehicle; however, their C-class Benzes are in the mid to high 20's range,I don't consider that price range to be in the "luxury" price range. For me, there are certain brands that are luxury to me, even if they have some lower priced models in their inventory.

Needless to say, I filed BK in Oct 2010, and my car has been paid off since 2007 (I bought my car brand  new, in late 2002), and I don't plan on getting a car anytime soon, and when I do a. it won't be brand new, and b. I will be paying at least 50% down. I've never purchased a car without putting at least 20-25% down.

Message 9 of 20
acleynes
New Contributor

What I don't understand is how some people are willing to pay a ridiculous interest rate on a used car like 18% because they had no down payment, but can somehow manage to come up with $2,000 to $5,000 in cash to upgrade the stereo and buy custom rims.

When I was younger and that movie "Fast & Furious" first came out, I knew several people who spent over $20,000+ on modifying and "upgrading" their vehicles, but owed a lot less on the remaining principal of their auto loan.  They would have been better off just paying off their car's principal.  To each their own.

Starting Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Current Score: TU 749 02/02/2014
Goal Score: 850

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.