Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do you miss the days pre chip?

tag
James3
Contributor

Re: do you miss the days pre chip?

@uncredited wrote:

Kudos aren't working but I give @Anonymalous virtual Kudos for mentioning imprint.  As someone that spent a lifetime avoiding credit cards because they're the devil (and now writing 1000 post threads here as a consequence as I try to piece together credit history in an unforgiving credit-happy world), "credit card" will always in my head mean the imprint swiper behind the register, and will never mean anything else to the end of my days. 

Never liked credit cards, but the satisfying sound of the imprint swipe and the whole process involved always looked so...sophisticated. A department store stoped being a department store without the sound of imprint swipers clicking away.

My bank's debit cards still have the raised numbers for imprint. And ironically one of my 2 goal cards (FNBO WS) still has the raised imporint numbers.  Citi keeps advertising Diamond, which also has the imprint numbers.  I can only assume card printing equipment for imprint cards is cheaper than card printing for printed cards.  Which doesn't make sense but I guess the used printing machines had to go somewhere! Either that or somewhere there's still a register swiping away.

I want the Mastercard with the raised numbers shown here. I would carry that card everywhere.

FNBO Evergreen
GM Copper Card
Wells Fargo Signature
Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards
Citi Double Cash
Wells Fargo BILT
Message 31 of 34
Zoostation1
Established Contributor

@azdude480 wrote:

I've actually just requested one of my card be replaced because if I go to use it (especially where they have chip but no tap-to-pay), I get a "Chip Malfunction Error". I then go to swipe/slide the card and it says squawks at me "Card must be inserted because it has a chip."

I wouldn't be surprised if you shop at Kroger or a Kroger owned grocery chain, since they don't have tap to pay on their readers.  I've also been throuhg multiple chip failures on cards.  I've never had a chip debit card last till to the expiration date without failure fwiw. Ever run into the we can't check you out because our reader isn't programmed to allow a swipe after X number of failures?  That used to happen to me at Game Stop.  Not to mention certain models of Verifone readers that still fail read the chip about 50% of the time even on a brand new cards.  I'm only a year back into the world of credit cards again so no failures yet on those and I usually tap the physical card (don't have Apple pay and only occasionally use my Google Pay).  The biggest pet peeves are gas station pay at the pump readers and vending machines.  So many gas pumps require full insertion of your card for chip usage (unlike most in store hardware) and either don't have tap to pay or it doesn't work right. My Discover fails at most gas pump tap to pay readers, and also oddly it fails at all vending machine tap to pay readers and I have to swipe (no chip insertion on these).  My other cards tap fine on those.

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 32 of 34
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Zoostation1 wrote:

@azdude480 wrote:

I've actually just requested one of my card be replaced because if I go to use it (especially where they have chip but no tap-to-pay), I get a "Chip Malfunction Error". I then go to swipe/slide the card and it says squawks at me "Card must be inserted because it has a chip."

I wouldn't be surprised if you shop at Kroger or a Kroger owned grocery chain, since they don't have tap to pay on their readers.  I've also been throuhg multiple chip failures on cards.  I've never had a chip debit card last till to the expiration date without failure fwiw. Ever run into the we can't check you out because our reader isn't programmed to allow a swipe after X number of failures?  That used to happen to me at Game Stop.  Not to mention certain models of Verifone readers that still fail read the chip about 50% of the time even on a brand new cards.  I'm only a year back into the world of credit cards again so no failures yet on those and I usually tap the physical card (don't have Apple pay and only occasionally use my Google Pay).  The biggest pet peeves are gas station pay at the pump readers and vending machines.  So many gas pumps require full insertion of your card for chip usage (unlike most in store hardware) and either don't have tap to pay or it doesn't work right. My Discover fails at most gas pump tap to pay readers, and also oddly it fails at all vending machine tap to pay readers and I have to swipe (no chip insertion on these).  My other cards tap fine on those.

Interesting. I've never seen a chip fail, it's always the reader.

I don't know much about it, but someone I talked to who is familiar with the subject says there were a lot of problems getting debit cards to work, because of all the verification that needs to be done behind the scenes, and that's why they we're so unreliable in chip readers. Credit cards never had that problem.

Message 33 of 34
Pway
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mfinsmi1 wrote:

I feel like the cards look more ugly with a giant chip in them. Now that cards are going more digital / tap to pay - i hope they remove the chip all togeather and restore the beauty of what cards used to look like. (i probably am alone in thinking this lol)

I preferred swipe and go. Much quicker.

Same here. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.