Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

driving record / lexisnexis / others?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

driving record / lexisnexis / others?

I am going to request my LexisNexis report. Once I receive the report, I expect to see some things on my driving record/history. some may be accurate, some may not be. I have a perfect driving history, in that, i have drive bazillions of miles and don't get into accidents. I do NOT believe the number of speeding tickets I may or may not have had plays any bearing in whether or not I'll get into an accident. I drive double or triple the number of miles of most people I know, many of whom drive the speed limit and they have been in several accidents. The questions i have are... 

1. can these be disputed? what is the success level? I have a feeling some may be on there, that have been argued in court and dropped.

2. If i opt out or freeze my report and an insurance company pulls my record will they deny insurance, or just give me a high rate anyway?

3. if the answer to #2 is deny...are there carriers that don't check, or is that wishful thinking?

4. are there other agencies other than lexisnexis and county public records that may have this data?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: driving record / lexisnexis / others?

1- You can't dispute accurate items. Well, you can try, but rarely succesful. I wasn't aware the EWS records driving citations, I pulled my EWS report last fall and didn't see any but since I haven't a driving citation since the mid 1980s no surprise there.

2- You cannot freeze or opt out of EWS, they have an exempted from the feds as a "speciality" reporting agency or something along those lines.

3 - I dunno

4- Probably

If you have a Credit Karma account you cn check your auto and home insurance scores here:

https://www.creditkarma.com/myfinances/scores/insurance#auto

Message 2 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am going to request my LexisNexis report. Once I receive the report, I expect to see some things on my driving record/history. some may be accurate, some may not be. I have a perfect driving history, in that, i have drive bazillions of miles and don't get into accidents. I do NOT believe the number of speeding tickets I may or may not have had plays any bearing in whether or not I'll get into an accident. I drive double or triple the number of miles of most people I know, many of whom drive the speed limit and they have been in several accidents. The questions i have are... 

1. can these be disputed? what is the success level? I have a feeling some may be on there, that have been argued in court and dropped.

2. If i opt out or freeze my report and an insurance company pulls my record will they deny insurance, or just give me a high rate anyway?

3. if the answer to #2 is deny...are there carriers that don't check, or is that wishful thinking?

4. are there other agencies other than lexisnexis and county public records that may have this data?

You can dispute with LN all you want, but part of purchasing your ins. policy involves data directly from DMV.  That you cannot dispute unless you show up in court and explain it's perfectly fine to speed as long as you drive X amount of miles. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can dispute with LN all you want, but part of purchasing your ins. policy involves data directly from DMV.  That you cannot dispute unless you show up in court and explain it's perfectly fine to speed as long as you drive X amount of miles. 

I realize you're being sarcastic, however my point wasn't that I drive x number of miles so therefore I'm safe... I'm saying that if in the past 10 years I have driven 40k miles per year (yes, seriously), that adds up to 400k miles. The average driver only drives 12k miles. I have effectively driven as much as the average (400/12)+16 years before you can drive by yourself)=50 year old just in the past 10 years. giving myself an average driving mileage for the 10 years before that... what is the percentage of 60 year olds who have NEVER been in a car accident?

If in that time I have not gotten into a car accident...in MY opinion, I drive extremely safe. at VERY minimum, no less safe than an "average" driver on the road. I drive a fast car with good brakes, never drive after drinking, always pay attention and adjust my speed according to how many people are on the road, and how much space is between me and the car in front/behind me. 

However, that's not really the main argument, and you won't change my mind in any case...

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

1- You can't dispute accurate items. Well, you can try, but rarely succesful. I wasn't aware the EWS records driving citations, I pulled my EWS report last fall and didn't see any but since I haven't a driving citation since the mid 1980s no surprise there.

2- You cannot freeze or opt out of EWS, they have an exempted from the feds as a "speciality" reporting agency or something along those lines.

3 - I dunno

4- Probably

If you have a Credit Karma account you cn check your auto and home insurance scores here:

EWS now? geeze! how many stupid reports are there! 

anyway, I believe it's part of the record on lexisnexis, unless ews is part of lexisnexis. I looked at a sample report, and EWS looks like it only has incidents/accidents/claims (as I said, I have none). So, I don't mind those. As for 3 and 4, I have seen people say they froze their lexisnexis reports...i was wondering if they had to unlock them to get insurance, or if they found certain carriers that didn't check

Message 5 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I understand what your point is. My point is that it wont work, because  DMV is custodian of the records, LN is data aggregator, plain and simple. 

Insurance will check with DMV prior to finalizing purchase.  

If you did not contest those tickets and won, they will be there. 

Message 6 of 9
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

3 - I dunno

4- Probably

anyway, I believe it's part of the record on lexisnexis, unless ews is part of lexisnexis. I looked at a sample report, and EWS looks like it only has incidents/accidents/claims (as I said, I have none). So, I don't mind those. As for 3 and 4, I have seen people say they froze their lexisnexis reports...i was wondering if they had to unlock them to get insurance, or if they found certain carriers that didn't check

Sorry, brainf@rt, or senior moment. No, EWS (Early Warning Systems) is for banking info.records, no driving records there. I pulled both my EWS and LexisNexis reports last year. You can't freeze or opt out of LN or freeze, and the amount of personal info they have on you is amazing, and frightening.

My last accident was also in the mid-80s, deer in the road late at night and I didn't want the antlers coming through the windshield so I swerved and ran into a ditch. The highway patrol guy had the attitude of "well I have to give you a ticket for something because you wrecked your car", so he gave me a ticked for "failure to maintain control". I went to court and fought it, telling the Judge "No, I maintained control, I drove into the ditch on purpose so I wouldn't hit the deer". He didn't buy it. 

Do you have navigation system in your car? A thing I like about mine is that it has a picture of a speed limit sign with the current speed limit where you are. Go one mile over the limit and it turns bright yellow, that really helps me avoiding going over the speed limit.

And I rode motorcycles when I was younger and one of my sayings is that it you live long enough riding motorcycles you learn to be really, really good defensive driver and not trust anyone to do what they're supposed to do .  .

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

3 - I dunno

4- Probably

Sorry, brainf@rt, or senior moment. No, EWS (Early Warning Systems) is for banking info.records, no driving records there. I pulled both my EWS and LexisNexis reports last year. You can't freeze or opt out of LN or freeze, and the amount of personal info they have on you is amazing, and frightening.

My last accident was also in the mid-80s, deer in the road late at night and I didn't want the antlers coming through the windshield so I swerved and ran into a ditch. The highway patrol guy had the attitude of "well I have to give you a ticket for something because you wrecked your car", so he gave me a ticked for "failure to maintain control". I went to court and fought it, telling the Judge "No, I maintained control, I drove into the ditch on purpose so I wouldn't hit the deer". He didn't buy it. 

Do you have navigation system in your car? A thing I like about mine is that it has a picture of a speed limit sign with the current speed limit where you are. Go one mile over the limit and it turns bright yellow, that really helps me avoiding going over the speed limit.

And I rode motorcycles when I was younger and one of my sayings is that it you live long enough riding motorcycles you learn to be really, really good defensive driver and not trust anyone to do what they're supposed to do .  .

You can "freeze" LexisNexis (have a PIN) as I have one in place. Back a while I put freezes in place on several CBs and information gathers and informed the quoting insurance companies of the freezes so would I need to lift them? Received no feed back so I shopped seventeen insurance companies for Auto and Home. Interestingly enough, was able to get quotes and coverage with freezes in place on the big three and LN. Go figure! Did catch that some insurance companies reserve the right to pull your big three credit bureaus and my new one of November 2018 did even with a freeze in place on the big three CBs. The "GAME" sure works in mysterious ways? Also, following on another comment in this thread, my LexisNexis Report (is 52 pages long) and it did reference pulling DMV information from the State I live in's Department of Public Safety. You can dispute LN and should if you find errors but understand, it may require you going back to provider Agency's if verified as accurate. Your deer situation is frustrating ... hit one at 10:30 pm at night in the absolute black darkness of the out back on a State Highway (no one lived around where I was) and law enforcement would not even come so the next day I reported to the nearest Police Station and had them file the report (they did not want to but did) and good ole LN still has it on my report (back to 2006)!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

3 - I dunno

4- Probably

LexisNexis is it's own entity!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.