Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fear of getting turned down

tag
RainaB13
New Contributor

Re: fear of getting turned down

One more. Do the companies ever use the information & send you an invite?
Message 11 of 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@RainaB13 wrote:
Oh,I take it you wouldn't be telling me this if you didn't get the cards right?

yes i did get all three on my last app spree. If you want to be safe tho i would wait till you get some pre approvals. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@RainaB13 wrote:
One more. Do the companies ever use the information & send you an invite?

You can check the opt in site to make sure they can send you the mail offers in the mail. Opt In. I  know the site says optout, but its for opting in and out of pre approval offers.

Message 13 of 19
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@RainaB13 wrote:
I have raised my score 167 points since May. Gotten my usage down to 11%, have 0 lates or derogatories.Increased my CLs by over $1400. I have been turning down offers for any cards that don't offer CB. In May I will have 0 inquiries, I will,hopefully,only be using my 2 CB cards (limits total $3150) by 30% max & paying them in full weekly. I have over $16000 in combined limits min my other cards but, except for 2 or 3 store cards, have no plans to use them.
I would really like to apply for a new CB & have researched the forums for my best. Oh, my score is 749 & according to where I Iook it's somewhere between good & excellent. This confuses my CB pick. I'm hoping my score will be up higher in May as my recent $500 CLI & my having paid off ALL my cards will be recorded by then with 7 more mos of history.
My problem is, I am afraid of being denied & putting a blot on what will be,by then, 1 yr of relentlessly hard work.
Others in here seem to make up their minds & go for it;sometimes 2 cards at a time. I realize in a yr the inquiry will be gone.
It's not that I haven't heard disappointment in here but, there seems to be a contingency plan to follow. I guess I should have one too.
Can you give me some ideas of what to wait for so I'll have better odds as well?
Thanks

Raina, what kinds of goals are you wanting at this time?

What cards do you have now? Are they fitting your needs? What if anything would be better for your financial profile? Do you want a cash back card or do you have debt that needs to be placed on a 0% promotion?

Do you want to join credit unions to get large CLs? Or do you simply like credit unions?

Are you looking for large sign up bonus offers?

What is the fear about with regard to denials? No need to be afraid, it's like a starting point if they say no. You can always call the reconsideration line and plead your case... with that said you want to make sure that the cards you are applying for have a pretty good recon line before you start that process if you're afraid of that. From your score that you stated doesn't look like you'll get too many denials which is great! Don't be afraid. You just have to figure out what it is that you're missing from your profile that you'd like to add and then go from there. Gardening while you aren't sure is NEVER a bad thing! Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 19
RainaB13
New Contributor

I didn't know when I joined the cu that they'd give me advice & a card with a big cl. I did it because that's what S Orman recommended; in this financial climate?
I'd like a cb card that has, or can have a large cl. Mine are getting up there but were opened when I was working on my credit. I would like to get cards geared to me & mostly use those.
Before, when I had no credit problems I had a Visa ,MC, Amex,Discover & cards for the department stores where I shopped. My cls just went up regularly in full & on time. I went through something tough & I made up for it by buying things but I was never in serious debt. I just paid the cards off & closed the accounts. I didn't want to have to deal with credit.
My father died, this whole financial mess happened & I realized I needed to take care of things. So, I guess I'm not very confident. It's either been easy without much thought or I've just not thought.
My father had money & I always depended on inheriting. A lot went wrong. A hip replacement put me in a wheelchair, my brother has control of most of the money ••• complicated!
Once I decided to do something I made major changes overnight. Maybe I'm afraid that the stability can go as easily as my father, so much of my inheri,etc. The outcome of the surgery ended my stage career; it keeps going. Enough!
Message 15 of 19
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been. You're a very strong person to have come through it, just remember that. Smiley Happy Know that you will make the best move for you when it's the right time to make it.

Message 16 of 19
RainaB13
New Contributor

I'm basically looking for as much as I can get. I never had to think about it before. I was offered the cards except for the store cards. Except for Discover, the only awards I had were mileage clubs.
I decided if I was going to work at this id do it all the way.
Recon offers are the next thing I have to learn about.
Message 17 of 19
RainaB13
New Contributor

Thank Kenny!
I still have a long way to go. My mother is going to be 97 this month. I want her around as long as possible because I love her but I also need to establish my own credit because I can't count on how much of what's left of the estate will get to me.
I never dreamed this is where I'd be at my age.
Message 18 of 19
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@RainaB13 wrote:
I'm basically looking for as much as I can get. I never had to think about it before. I was offered the cards except for the store cards. Except for Discover, the only awards I had were mileage clubs.
I decided if I was going to work at this id do it all the way.
Recon offers are the next thing I have to learn about.

If you are thinking about cashback cards, i think bce/bcp orsallie mae World mastercard, and maybe quicksilver for flat 1.5 on everything are pretty good. I also like costco TE if you shop at costco that is. The 2% on restaurants and travel is pretty nice.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.