Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

forum member progress history

tag
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

forum member progress history

Am i the only one who reads old threads with new forum members commenting about their credit repair journeys?

i like to read the threads of people that are ecstatic that they were approved for that first unsecured Capital one card. I then look at the siggy thats been updated over the last 24 months and you see CL's of 8-10k or more. It gives you encouragement to stick with it.

i also feel like a junior in highschool looking at old yearbooks of classmates.

(high school sucked. never again)

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
core
Valued Contributor

Re: forum member progress history

@woodyman100 wrote:

I then look at the siggy thats been updated over the last 24 months and you see CL's of 8-10k or more.

I don't like it when I'm reading old threads and everyone says they got approved or denied for this-or-that, and they say "scores are in sig".  Well that sig's been updated for 24 months or maybe 8 years so that's hardly helpful now, is it?  Might as well erase the post after a few months because that data becomes useless.  It's not that hard to type "my EX score is xxx".  That's actually fewer keystrokes than "my scores are in my sig".

Message 2 of 9
Cookie2120987
Frequent Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:

Am i the only one who reads old threads with new forum members commenting about their credit repair journeys?

i like to read the threads of people that are ecstatic that they were approved for that first unsecured Capital one card. I then look at the siggy thats been updated over the last 24 months and you see CL's of 8-10k or more. It gives you encouragement to stick with it.

i also feel like a junior in highschool looking at old yearbooks of classmates.

(high school sucked. never again)

I really agree with this, thugh what the other poster said is somewhat true, the daa does become useless as time goes on, but I agree with your post more. Being a new credit builder, with 8 months of history now, try to rebuild from 2.5 years of HORRIBLE history I like to read other people's journeys and use them as encouragement t continue to build. I'm at the point now where if I pay off my cards ill probably top at ~650 and be stuck there until January when my CC reaches a year old and all of my baddies will be over 2 years old. 

I spend a lot of time reading a large variety of post here, and I find it very useful and very encouraging, especially knowing that others here make near my income and have very good cards with good limits.

Message 3 of 9
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

I agree! I love reading threads and looking at how far some have came. It's very inspiring and pushes me to keep going on my journey as well. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

On a more depressing note, it can also be used to learn lessons.  There are some old rebuilding threads where the user is making progress, starts asking about high CL cards (always a danger sign in my eyes!), then a period of silence, followed by a new rebuilding.

That's part of the danger of forums like this, it appears that everyone is getting those great cards except you, and some (hopefully not many) overstretch themselves again.

Message 5 of 9
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

All of your comments seem to be true. I had a restaurant go under in 2000 and my credit was devastated. I had a 485 score. I just negotiated what I could and waited out the baddies for several years. I found this forum a couple of years ago and began the trek to redemption. After a year, I began working on my wife's as well. A little over 2 years on, my scores are in the low to mid 700's and my wife's are in the 700's as well. She still as 2 baddies and I have 1 big one that I'll be paying on for a couple more years. I have become obsessed with paying cc's in full now. If I see even a dollar on one I panic. If my scores wouldn't take a hit, I would close all but 3 or 4. I need to hang with it though. I need a mortgage in 2 years, when my inquiries fall off. Thank you everyone for your help.
NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 6 of 9
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I have gone through the same stages everyone else has. Apping too much because it feels good to be trusted again, getting the wrong types of credit and now having to wait out those mistakes, etc. lolling ahead at other peoples journeys helps me try and avoid the same pitfalls. I am sometimes astounded at the brutal honesty some lay out on these forums. It helps knowing you're not the only one that had made that mistake
Message 7 of 9
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

"Looking ahead" not "lolling ahead" trust me , I'm not laughing at anybody. Except me right now
Message 8 of 9
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:
"Looking ahead" not "lolling ahead" trust me , I'm not laughing at anybody. Except me right now

No worries.  I'm not one to laugh at anymore.  I just re entered the credit card world about seven months ago after taking off 10+ years.  I too had gone through some financial travesties over the years related to business and my credit became damaged due to personal refusal to declare bankruptcy.  In turn I made every effort to pay back and as a result some of my baddies stayed on my CRs.  It took many years and hard negotiations for the baddies to come off.  During this process I learned quite a bit about credit rebuilding..and since finding MyFico I've added credit boosting into my porffolio.  Smiley Happy

Seven months ago I had only a paypal prepaid business debit card earning 1.5% cashback and a First Premier mastercard with $600 credit line.  After perusing hours and pages of rich content on this site I learned about this strange concept ( and risky at the time? ) called APP Spree.  Well, I pulled the trigger in one weekend and got approved for 5-7 prime credit cards.   

Looking back I have First Premier to thank for in reminding me to apply for new cards. If they had eliminated my AF I probably would have been with them still today.   

A year ago my scores were in the middle or high 500s.  After negotiating a few baddy TLs my scores jumped into the 600s. While in the low 600s it seemed like an eternity.  No matter what I did my scores didn't seem to move.  

I'm glad to report that things are different today.  I feel so much empowered by the information we find on Myfico.  Depending on my objective I feel I can literrally customize my FICO scores to be anywhere I want in the range of 700-800.  By paying this off I can get this score; by increasing debt there I can get a CLIs; by doing this I can increase my AAoA; by not doing that my scores wll jump 30 points; and on and on....

It's a wonderful feeling to be able to actually control your credit life.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.