Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

friends and credit

tag
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

friends and credit

just curious if anyone else has a friend they try to help with credit? i was talking to mine last night and asked him his scores and what not...told him to app discover it approved 2500. i was happy as he saw this as a means to cancel his 300 capitol one lol

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: friends and credit

@juggalo9er wrote:

just curious if anyone else has a friend they try to help with credit? i was talking to mine last night and asked him his scores and what not...told him to app discover it approved 2500. i was happy as he saw this as a means to cancel his 300 capitol one lol

One of my best friends just has a 500 limit with MSUFCU, and never uses it. I try to explain why it'd be good for him to build up a thick file - and he just tells me "I have the cash for everything, why do I need credit?"

SMH

FWIW, my other best friend I just got him to PC his Cap1 Journey to QS1 without AF

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 16
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

I have one friend with absolutely terrible credit (30% APR car loan!) who gets straight-up offended if I try to help him.  The others I've found don't really like to talk about it because they don't know much about it, and that makes them feel uncomfortable.  On the other hand, they've both always had good credit, so they never really felt compelled to learn more about it.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 3 of 16
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

mine recovered on his own from a 620-i helped him get 5 collections deleted to his current 712

Message 4 of 16
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Leadberry wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

I have one friend with absolutely terrible credit (30% APR car loan!) who gets straight-up offended if I try to help him.  The others I've found don't really like to talk about it because they don't know much about it, and that makes them feel uncomfortable.  On the other hand, they've both always had good credit, so they never really felt compelled to learn more about it.

I guess I see it as win some, lose some. In the end, it's their life and their finances and we have to understand that it is their business - not ours.

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 5 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@juggalo9er wrote:

I used to, not anymore, was constantly bombarded with what should I do, what do I app for and then they do something else. I immed change the subject today, I only answer and encourage on credit forums now.

Message 6 of 16
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@juggalo9er wrote:

I have a friend I try to help, However he's only 19 and he already has 3+ baddies and keeps missing payments... His baddies include missed payments and I believe 2 collection accounts.

His score was in the low 500's I had him apply for Discover as well since I know they go easy on people, But declined. Been trying to help him, But it seems impossible... lol.

Message 7 of 16
Chris679
Established Contributor

I've found that the ones who actually need the advice are the ones who won't listen to it, go figure.
Message 8 of 16
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

I did it for my brother.  He's 40, steady income, lots of money in the bank but ZERO credit.  We couldn't even pull a credit report on him because there was nothing to generate!  I added him as an AU to one of my AMEX cards and sponsored him for my CU.  He apped for an unsecured card with them and was instantly approved for $3k. 

He's going to need to assume a mortgage in about 5 years on a property our parents own.  I'm sure he will have the credit profile he needs by then.

I know how we were raised, we were told to NEVER use credit, to pay cash for everything.  He's never even had an auto loan.  I didn't want him to struggle to build credit the way I've been the last year.  At least I had some student loans and a few cards from when I had been married reporting where I was an AU.  I did not manage my credit well when I was married, we put everything into my husband's name because he had good established credit.  I had nothing so we didn't put my name on most things.  I was the one who had over 80% of our income.  I should have been building credit in MY name not his all those years.  I did not want my brother to suffer the way I did without credit.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 9 of 16
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I tend not to help people with credit. If they ask questions I may chime in, but I usually act like a dunce when it comes to credit. Now *I* have a friend who is trying to help me with my credit, lol. We were talking one day about the PIF vs Carrying a balance argument, and she was adamant I carry a balance for a bit to see my score go higher. I was talking to my husband about it later that evening and his attitude was "heck no!", and I agreed. I could possible see the need with the maximizing your Fico trick, but since our cars are in great shape (also free and clear) and we are not planning on buying real estate anytime soon, we'll just keep doing what we are doing. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.