Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"High" Income In College

tag
k-s
Regular Contributor

Re: "High" Income In College

My boyfriend is 23 and a senior in college and he makes about 45k. He works full time + OT for a small online marketing firm. However, we live in Southern California and 45k really doesn't go very far here. Honestly, you need half of his monthly net income just for rent on a small, normal apartment.

EQ MyFICO: 719 - Discover It TU FICO: 749 - EX 728
Amex PRG: NPSL | Amex Blue Sky: 2k | Amex BCE: 10k | Amex TrueEarnings: 5k | Amex Delta Gold: 2k | Discover It: 4k | SFCU: 13k | Quicksilver: 4k | Venture: 10k | Freedom: 2k | CSP: 7.5k | Amazon Visa: 5k | Citi TYPremier: 6.3k | Best Buy: 4.5k | Macy's Amex: 6k | Nordstrom: 4k | Old Navy Visa: 4k | Target: $1.2k | Angel: 1k
Message 11 of 23
Nightfallx
New Contributor

yeah 45k in Cali isn't very good lol.  45k in Memphis,TN isn't to bad though because cost of living is cheaper here.

in my wallet:
Amex Zync : NPSL (main card always pif)
Discover More: 6,500$ (no balance)
Chase Sapphire : 5000.00$ (no balance)
Citi Thank You Card backed by Amex 8,200$ (no balance)
Amex Blue Cash 21,000$
Best Buy Store Card : 5,700$ (I'm a nerd so used a lot)
Message 12 of 23
gen-specific
Frequent Contributor

Facebook interns get $5,000 a month

Message 13 of 23
skakid812
Established Member

I make 30-50 a year depending on overtime.  I go to school fulltime for aeronautical science and its a lot sometimes, but I have always been a hard workers and cant seem to slow down.

Message 14 of 23
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@gen-specific wrote:

Facebook interns get $5,000 a month

That's google, and it's only for 3 months.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 15 of 23
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in Oklahoma too, Southeast part of the state.  Son is in college and living off me.  Maybe I should check in on this.  Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 16 of 23
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I went to a university in the Hampton Roads area of VA. With a full-time job for a newspaper, odd and end jobs on the side, and a business of my own, I was making most of my professors at the time. Ironically, I was the boss of one of my professors who took a job for the paper to make ends meet. Irony.    I know of several 20-21-22 year olds who are graduating with a degree and earning 6-figures by means of business ownership initially started to help pay for college. With determination and persistence, anyone can grow their income much further than where it is now. A degree means nothing, IMO.

Message 17 of 23
Temporary_me

I know this is an old thread but figured I would throw in my $0.02 as a 21 year old college senior.

As most said a lot depends on the field and geographic location. My experience as a petroleum eng. student was that an internship paying $7k or so a month plus overtime is perfectly viable for a good student. I live in Missouri where cost of living is low like OK, so I see where it sounds like a ton of $$...because it is. However most internships for us are in TX, CO, or OK etc...

Still aside from high paying internships or working full time, many college students report scholarships or family help as "income" when applying for credit cards. If you have a nearly full ride to a $40k/yr school that's a chunk of change you can report even if you never do a thing with it but pay the school.
FICO: 763 (Discover Statement March 2015)
Barclay Arrival (no fee) - $6,300
Discover Open Road - $2,500
Message 18 of 23
chris6291
Established Member

Well I easily make 25k working PART-TIME (28-34 hrs/wk) and going to college working at a pharmacy.

So I'm thinking if you can work full time and attend college full time as well, 40k is definitely possible. Of course, being claimed as a dependant, making 40k and going to college will make you pay uncle Sam extra taxes for sure. So it's actually not convenient if your parent's claim you.

My income tax return at 25k/year is $20-30 if I'm lucky since my parents still claim me as a dependent (they do provide support).

Of course, none of these incomes are actually "high." However, compared to other college students who make the minimum wage and work 8 hours per week, we are "well off."

It's like, instead of cheap ramen noodles, we eat the expensive ramen noodles!

haha!

P.S. I go to Tech in LBB. So it's really not that much of a difference between anywhere in Oklahoma and LBB.

Starting Score: EX 568 | TU 569 | EQ 568
Current Score: EX 579 | TU 582 | EQ 570
Goal Score: EX 700 | TU 690 | EQ 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 23
chris6291
Established Member

You would have to be really computer savvy and/or have lots of experience and/or know important people.

Starting Score: EX 568 | TU 569 | EQ 568
Current Score: EX 579 | TU 582 | EQ 570
Goal Score: EX 700 | TU 690 | EQ 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.