cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"I *barely* made it" thread. Share your "I barely got approved for credit" stories!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

"I *barely* made it" thread. Share your "I barely got approved for credit" stories!

I do a lot of browsing and searching on MyFICO (so much good stuff here!) and found this thread from 2017. What a great thread! Let's start a new one! I sure have some "barely made it" stories of my own!

I had a massive CC debt that was partially paid off (settled for less than full amount) in November 2018. Also, a recent (from the summer of 2018) 90-day late. And not just all of those, but I also have a low (under 20K) income! I continue to have high utilization from some closed CCs that are being paid off with a low-interest fixed monthly payment. (I hope to pay them off completely within a year or less! I hope!)

On the plus side, I have an average account age of about 8-11 years and probably a pretty decent credit history before all my troubles befell me. I think that's helped. I also got a Green Dot secured platinum card in late November which may have also helped.

My "BARELY made it" approvals:

* Walmart Store card. Was accepted with approx 614 FICO and very high utilization (probably over 90%) with a limit of $200. Pretty amazing! Also got an Overstock store card for a limit of $250 at about the same time. What was especially encouraging about the Walmart card was that less than a month before I was rejected by them (this was before my debt settlement). I felt like a credit leper and that nobody would ever give me an unsecured card.

* Discover IT Cash Back. Was getting pre-approvals for the secured card only when my score was about 616. In early Feb 2019, my EX score jumped to 636 and suddenly I'm getting preapprovals for the Cashback and Chrome! Got the highest APR and an $800 limit. My utilization was about 89% at the time. I have a Discover checking account; that might have helped. 

So, what are your "barely made it" credit stories? 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "I *barely* made it" thread. Share your "I barely got approved for credit" s

I’d say my AmEx approvals in November 2018 were just squeaking in at EX FICO8 of 630ish and the $1000 SLs on each attest to it.
Message 2 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: "I *barely* made it" thread. Share your "I barely got approved for credit" s

Getting in with Penfed back in 2016 with just a $500 approvalSmiley Wink. I say just because i had to fight tooth and nail for a 1k increase a year later and to this day PF has no love for average joesSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I’d say my AmEx approvals in November 2018 were just squeaking in at EX FICO8 of 630ish and the $1000 SLs on each attest to it.

Is that Indigo RIP yet?  Says 02/19. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not yet - I was mistaken in the date. Its open date is actually 4/2018, so I haven’t nuked it yet. It’s on my list for next week when I get back from an out of town trip and have a few minutes to load the gun and aim properly.
Message 5 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Alright, I'll remind you again Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol after watching how you show AJC no mercy, I don’t doubt it!!
Message 7 of 9
Rogue46
Established Contributor

Mine would definitely be getting into Penfed with a mid 600's score and getting a $13,500 SL Power cash rewards card.

Message 8 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Lol after watching how you show AJC no mercy, I don’t doubt it!!

He earned it, tho 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.