Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ritz Carlton metal card

tag
acreditdummy123
Regular Contributor

ritz Carlton metal card

are people still able to request a replacement cards that fully metal?

❤️ Am a peaceful, positive person. Credit scores: Amazing and higher than most. AAoA: Superb. No lates. No delinquencies.

The past is the past. I'm a completely new person now as of 3/6/23
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: ritz Carlton metal card

@acreditdummy123 wrote:

The most recent information I have, @acreditdummy123, is that the Ritz Carlton card is still available as a metal card.  However, the card design was changed substantially last year.  (See this posting from August 2021.) 

At one point, the Ritz Carlton Visa Infinite was one of the heaviest cards, weighing in at 27 grams Smiley Surprised  which was the same as the JP Morgan Reserve (by invitation only.)   By comparison, the next heaviest cards are the Barclays "Luxury Card" Mastercards at 22 grams each.  The old Citi Prestige and the current Citi AAdvantage Executive card are 18 grams.  AMEX Platinum and Centurion cards are 17 grams, as are the X1 card, Capital One Savor, the Synchrony Verizon Visa, and the HSBC WEMC among others. 

The "new" Ritz-Carlton card is now a metal core sandwiched with plastic layers on the outside, similar to the Chase Sapphire Reserve and Sapphire Preferred, Chase Amazon Prime, Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier, and the Chase United Club Visa Infinite.  The weights of all of these cards is in the 12-13 gram range.

As far as I know, there's no way to request the older heavier version.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 2 of 18
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ritz Carlton metal card

@acreditdummy123 wrote:

Simple answer, no.

Heavier cards were replaced with the metal core versions.

Message 3 of 18
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

ritz carlton card design & appeal

We still have the original solid metal Ritz Carlton card that expires next year.  That is about the only heavy metal card ever made as far as I know of.  

I still remember the reaction when the waiter took our Ritz Carlton to its mobile card terminal in Canada.  He was right at our table and he was very impressesed.

It is sad that Chase discontinued it and replaced with the fake one.

Message 4 of 18
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: ritz carlton card design & appeal

@BronzeTrader wrote:

We still have the original solid metal Ritz Carlton card that expires next year.  That is about the only heavy metal card ever made as far as I know of.  

I still remember the reaction when the waiter took our Ritz Carlton to its mobile card terminal in Canada.  He was right at our table and he was very impressesed.

The old card was the same weight (27 grams) as the JP Morgan Reserve card.  I believe the JPM Reserve is now the heaviest card available.  Ritz Carlton is sandwich metal-plastic like many of the newer metal cards including Chase Sapphire Reserve that weigh about 12 grams.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 18
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Keep in mind that for all the nostalgia about the old card, there were occasional reports that it was too thick to fit into some EMV terminals.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 18
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

The old card was the same weight (27 grams) as the JP Morgan Reserve card.  I believe the JPM Reserve is now the heaviest card available.  Ritz Carlton is sandwich metal-plastic like many of the newer metal cards including Chase Sapphire Reserve that weigh about 12 grams.  

The old Ritz Carlton card weights 28 grams.  JPM Reserve weights 27 grams.  Close, but not the same.

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/the-most-heavy-credit-cards-list/ 

Message 7 of 18
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Keep in mind that for all the nostalgia about the old card, there were occasional reports that it was too thick to fit into some EMV terminals.

Sure possible.  I had problem inserting into the auto parking slot machine.  It also triggers security alarm at airport and other places.  Sure gets a lot attentions.

It was truly one of its kind.

A lot of the premium cards can peel easily, including the top Chase CSR card.  

Message 8 of 18
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Now look at the real time weighting of Ritz card and the JPM card.  28 oz vs 26 oz.  I hope the scales are not much different.

Ritz.PNG(take out 2 oz of the stick notepad)

JPM.PNG

Different cards.

Message 9 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I'm guilty of liking even the extra heft of my CSR, but absolutely right on it's peeling: pre-pandemic where I was swiping that card all over the place I replaced it twice.

Current one has done OK, but I'm still ordering ahead and paying with Apple Pay for everything I can... actually I get *irritated* now when I have to pull out a card and enter it explicitly into an app.

I guess this all goes to say I'm seeing less and less reason to have a truly fancy / non-plastic card unless you're still doing lots of travel where swiping sometimes is unavoidable.  Swiping for the sake of swiping just seems suboptimal.

        
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.