Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the feel of the Amex BCE card

tag
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

the feel of the Amex BCE card

Anyone else just plain not care for the feel of the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card?

To me it's slick, slippery & flimsy.

(Spending limit works okay, tho'. Smiley Wink)

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: the feel of the Amex BCE card

Plastic cards are so 2015! Metal is passé as well.

I want a leather card or maybe a concrete one! Or aerogel.
Message 2 of 11
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

Anyone else just plain not care for the feel of the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card?

People are going to think I'm strange for saying this, but credit cards feel so much thinner and cheaper than they were ~10 years ago. I think a lot of this has to do with issues maybe using thinner plastic for the non-embossed cards that are popular these days. My BoA Cash Rewards is only 4-ish months old, and it looks like it's been through hell and back already, especially compared with my 1 year old BoA debit card that sits right next to it in my wallet. 

Interestingly, the only cards I've physically destroyed by swiping have been a Cabela's Visa and BoA debit card - both with the older style raised numbers. To me, the only cards that feel substantial these days are the metal and metal core ones, like my Chase Amazon.com card. 

Message 3 of 11
expatCanuck
Super Contributor

The Discover it feels substantial to me.

2023 Goal: save 3 months' net income

Starting FICO8: 666 (give or take a FICO)
[ Last INQ 12-Feb-2024 ]
EQ8415 INQ (Auto, CC, HELOC, 2 mort)7y2m
EX8125 INQ (2 CC, 2 mort, HELoan)6y11m
TU8294 INQ (3 CC, 1 mort)6y6m
5/243/12AoYA 0m | AoOA 23y6m~3%
Message 4 of 11
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@expatCanuck wrote:

The Discover it feels substantial to me.

I think it is substantial! I cut one up the other night and was surprised at how durable the plastic was. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

People are going to think I'm strange for saying this, but credit cards feel so much thinner and cheaper than they were ~10 years ago. I think a lot of this has to do with issues maybe using thinner plastic for the non-embossed cards that are popular these days. My BoA Cash Rewards is only 4-ish months old, and it looks like it's been through hell and back already, especially compared with my 1 year old BoA debit card that sits right next to it in my wallet. 

I got my BofA with raised numbers, then after a couple months I saw on here that people were getting the numbers-on-the-back style. I prefer the latter since EMV's have become a thing with the whole number hanging out for all to see, though being thinner is the first thing I noticed when I peeled the card off the letter.

Disco is the highest quality plastic in my wallet. Followed by Uber, then FU, then BofA.

Message 6 of 11
jlitnns
Established Contributor

wrote:

I liked the AMEX clear cards, I have BCP with BCE on the way and them someone pointed out to me it is hard to read. I don't use it a ton but I pulled it out the other day and did notice it was a little hard to read at certain angles. Kind of an ugly card I guess.

I love the Amazon Visa feel and the Discover card as well.

Robot Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I got my BofA with raised numbers, then after a couple months I saw on here that people were getting the numbers-on-the-back style. I prefer the latter since EMV's have become a thing with the whole number hanging out for all to see, though being thinner is the first thing I noticed when I peeled the card off the letter.

Disco is the highest quality plastic in my wallet. Followed by Uber, then FU, then BofA.

I was the one that started that BoA Cash Rewards thread, with the new design. I have to say, after some months of heavy usage, it looks pretty beat up. I'm already getting "Chip read malfunction" errors on EMV terminals and the card is barely 4 months old. Time to order a replacement. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Amex ED and I'm extremely disappointed in how it looks. The numbers are silver on a clear card and it's really hard to read them and the card just looks ugly and cheap LOL. I want the BCE, maybe I'll have to app for that so I have a blue/clear card in addition to this ugly silver/clear one.

Message 9 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

They have to make us Platinum customers feel special. Part of that means making lower-tier cards comparatively less attractive.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.