cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when is it time to give up on a car?

tag
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: when is it time to give up on a car?

LOL, if anything, her 2016 will be long gone for years before I part with the 2006.  Smiley Happy

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 11 of 13
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

@SoCalGardener wrote:

@kr43002 wrote:

Last december I had to make a choice that I really hated making. My first car I ever got without the help of my parents was having re-occuring mechanical issues, where the TCM/Transmission/Clutch (on an automatic) would have an issue and require a hefty repair bill where $500 was the cheapest and was normally above a grand. I bought it on thanksgiving in 2019 for around 7k with a 4 year warranty included, which the denied every claim, waist of time and money). The car was in the shop 7 of the 12 months I owned it. 

When is it time to throw in the towel with cars like this? Would have giving up on it earlier, been better? The following monday after purchasing this car I went to a dealership to try and trade her in and I was told I could buy a new car but I couldn't trade her in. (the transmission blew after a 30 minute freeway drive of doing the speedlimit). I could have just gotten a new car then and did a self repossesion and just taken the hit to my credit, but at the time I also was able to afford repairing this car (All be it taking all my savings and excess income). 

What would you have done?

Here in California that would fall under the 'lemon law' for cars. What you've described is absolutely unacceptable, to say nothing of unethical--what's up with denying all the warranty claims?!

I don't know where you're located, but I'd at least find out if there's a lemon law that covers issues like this; since it's coming up on two years since you bought it...ugh, that may not be good. I don't have any idea what time-frame is usually covered.

I am sorry for the late reply, I did not see this thread pop up in my notifications.

I did consult an attorney before I filed Bankruptcy about this issue. The unfortuneate thing, no attorney was willing to take on the case, even with payment. Why? because there isn't a lemon law in Idaho, so I would have to sue them for defrauding the Warranty company and Defrauding me for selling a vehicle they new was in bad condition. However that is hard to prove to the standard a court would accept. In the end the law suit would have far exceeded the cost of the vehicle.

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 12 of 13
kr43002
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunetly talking about great maitnence is kinda mute with this situation. I sent it straight to the Ford Dealer the day i got it to do a 20 point inspection and full service. And I was very meticoulus about keeping up with maintence on the vehicle. Well as much as I could with it in the shop as much as it was. 

BK CH7 1/21 DC 5/21
1+ Year Post BK
Credit Limit: 6000
EDC: QuickSilver 1 1.5% $39 AF
Oldest Account: Tire Card $500 0% APR 6 Months After purchase. 2018. (Survived Bankruptcy)
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.