cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Year Old Retroactive Forbearance Success!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

4 Year Old Retroactive Forbearance Success!!!

Hello everyone this is my first post. I thought I’d share my success story regarding Retroactive Forbearance with Great Lakes.

I had 4 late payments in Jan, February and March of 2015 that were 120/90/60/30 days late. I called Great Lakes to ask if they offered retroactive forbearance and the agent I spoke with said they did not. I pressed on and said that I would like to make the request anyway. She gave me an address and said I’d have to send it in through snail mail. I took down the address and typed up my letter. I detailed hardship that I had in 2015 and after drawing up my letter I decided to email it in to the last person I corresponded with at Great Lakes for a previous question not related to my request. They responded within 24 hours saying that my request for a retroactive forbearance has been previously addressed according to their notes. I responded saying it had not been addressed and asked if I could submit my retroactive forbearance with her. 48 hours later I receive an email from a different agent saying that my request has been approved and they will be removing the past late payments for Jan, Feb and March of 2015!

In total it took 3 business days to have them removed. I have two lates from 2012 that are about to age out, I was thinking of asking the CBs for an early exclusion. Hopefully this helps give my score a much needed bump. I hope this helps someone else on their credit journey.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 4 Year Old Retroactive Forbearance Success!!!

I think you broke some sort of record!! They're only supposed to go back a year. It just goes to show you that it's never too late to try.
The early exclusions aren't supposed to be for student loans but I've seen where others people have gotten the lates removed. I've done 4 EE on accounts that are active and ask were successful. People will tell you a certain number of months per credit bureau, but I've consistently has success 6 months early with all three CRA.
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Message 2 of 26
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Wow really? I have fedloan. They told me they couldn’t remove any of my lates even though I GOT the retroactive forbearance that covered every single month that mine were reported late!! From Jan-May. I got 9 accounts hit me with 90 days late even though they put the forbearance plus I went into the IDR plan the very next day.

My credit took 150 dive.
Then was updated to show “account in good standing” since it wasn’t considered late anymore but the lates were not removed.

Scores went back up maybe 70 points, not all the way back to where the were though. I don’t get it!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 3 of 26
calyx
Super Contributor

That is amazing - great job!

I've heard generally good things about dealing with GL, I'm kinda sad I didn't pick them for my servicer.
I have done successful EEs with student loans;   but honestly, if you don't need the immediate bump, I would recommend just leaving them be since they should be off shortly.    If you DO go for the EE, Transunion is usually pretty good, but EX and EQ can be really dicey, if not downright awful.

Are these lates more than 60 days?  If they're 30/60, it might not be worth the effort.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sabii
Need advice on late student loans. I have 27 lates reporting and I've disputed them several times. It's being reported with different months on the 3 CB. My question I have a letter from SM stating my loans were in forbearance and it covered the dates of the lates. Do I send in this letter? And what should the letter I write say?
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, you send in the letter as a supporting document. I've never done this for student loans. When I did my dispute I did it online and uploaded my support. No personal letter needed, just a short explaination why I was disputing the lates. Can you print out anything on your servicer's website for those months bills that would confirm this too?
If you can't get anywhere with your servicer or the CRA you could always file a complaint on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau website. Whatever gets results imo.
For my early Exclusion, I just made a PDF of an informative thread on here, lol! All granted 6 months early, even though some came back verified. Sadly some only deleted the first in the string if the whole string wasn't within 6 months.
Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Trying to do the same for my GL lates - can you PM me the addresses you emailed? 

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

herecomestrebel:
Make sure you would have actually qualified for one, not that you're trying to get rid of lates. If you didn't qualify for a forbearance then you can't get one.
Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I have a letter stating it was in forbearance during that time
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

The forbearance was granted 5 years ago nothing recent. So I went through my letters and found where a letter that was sent to me saying I was in forbearance. Just seeing if this will remove the lates.
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.