Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few basic questions about student loans - first timer - help needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

A few basic questions about student loans - first timer - help needed

Hi. 

I had my x-girlfriend doing all my student loans "thinkgies" - a very bad mistake on my part, but i was so busy at work I could not attend to it. 

Now I am seeing the resutls. 

I am here to ask a few very basic questions: 

1. Who is/are Great Lakes? 

- They are my lenders. Are they a government agency? Private? 

2. My loan is due soon. I can't fully pay. Depite graduating from a great Univeristy, I still didn't get a job. The market is horible. 

- What should I do?

3. I never took "private loans". I only accepted this loans: 

- Direct Subsidized Loan

- Direct Unsubsidized Loan

- Perkings Loan

- Federal Pell Grant

- Univeristy Grant

- Which of these do I need to pay back? Is it right to assume that "grants" (Federal Pell Grant and University Grant) are gifts?

I will stop here, cause I don't want to make this too long. 

Thanks so much! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: A few basic questions about student loans - first timer - help needed

1.  Great Lakes is a loan servicer, they may hold all or some of your federal loans.  Go to NSLDS.ed.gov and log in to get a complete list of your federal student loans.  If you click each loan number, it will also give you the name and contact information for the loan holders.  Take note of that information, you will want to contact them and/or visit their websites to set up accounts so you can be sure they have your up-to-date contact information and so you can monitor your accounts.

2. You should contact your lenders and explain your situation.  With federal loans, you have a number of repayment plans and some deferment options available to you.  If you can pay something, I would look at getting your loans on a repayment plan you can afford.  The lender's website, or customer service, will be able to educate you about these options and sign you up for one of them.

3. Pell Grants do not need to be repaid, and generally, neither do any funds considered a "grant" or scholarship from your university.  If you have any questions about whether you need to repay any money to your university, contact your Financial Aid office and just ask.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am very gratful for your answer! 

Thank you very much. I have indeed logged in to the site you supplied me with, and saw a comprehansive summery of my loans!!! 

Message 3 of 4
Travis-84
Regular Contributor

Great lakes is a servicer.  Which means they service loans, not actually issue them.  They have a good website, go there, and sign up for online access.  There you can see your payment info, and maybe switch to another payment plan that will make things more affordable.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.