cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACS now Nelnet. Should I dispute old ACS accounts that show delinquency?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

ACS now Nelnet. Should I dispute old ACS accounts that show delinquency?

Most of my late payments stem from student loans.  My old ACS loans have been sold multiple times and now sit with Nelnet.  The old ACS accounts show lots of late payments.  Would a dispute on these cause any problems?

Also, I have several Navient loans that have now closed, though I still have several Navient loans current.  Should I dispute the closed loans that have late payments showing or would lead to problems with active Navient loans?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: ACS now Nelnet. Should I dispute old ACS accounts that show delinquency?

When my old servicer went out of business, my loans for transferred to a different servicer. The new servicer wasn't showing any previous history. I disputed the entry with the old servicer because at the time they did it there was an option to validate the lates. I guess since there was nobody there to respond. The whole thing was removed (for the old servicer only).
You could always try. You'll have to come up with a valid reason to dispute something. And since your files got sent to your new servicer, there's a possibility they might be and to pull it up? I don't know. I just know the servicers are extremely unorganized. If it were me and if Nelnet showed your original loan dates, I would go for it!
Good luck. 🙂
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Sabii,

I just disputed ACS lates and they deleted the whole account. My credit score decreased by about 7 points. I had years of on time payments which were lost. I’m working with ombudsman on another issue and will bring this up too.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kkboom:
Is the ombudsman still open with the shutdown?

Yes, the deletion is always a risk when you are disputing lates. However if the loan is the same, just with a different servicer it might be fixable. Nelnet should be getting you file (s) and with it your payment history. If it were me, I would approach it in steps. The first step being calling Nelnet and requesting a copy of your bills for the last X # of years. Don't tell them why. They should send it to you or research it. It might take a while; mine did. In the end the answer for me was my file was completely gone, but in your case I bet you'll get good results.
Once you have the bills and payment history, they can't wiggle out of it. They know what it is so they need to report it accurately. If the Ombudsman can't help, file a complaint with the CFPB, with all the paperwork and it usually gives great results.
Good luck
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the ombudsman is still open. And thank-you for the advice. I will contact Nelnet and ask for the bills for the past 6 years as you suggested. Does this CFPB work better than Ombudsman? I’ve noticed mixed reviews on here with ombudsman.

Also, ACS told me they no longer had my files. I hope Nelnet has them and I can use your approach to finally resolve this. Literally, these are the only negative marks on my report, but at 8 accounts with 2- 90 day and 1- 120 day lates, it is still a huge hit to my credit.

I’ll update when new info comes in.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I said bills but I mean payment history. I found it easier to have them just send me the bills so you can see the math (balance going down). Of course, all of my original loan documents are gone.
I have heard the same about the ombudsman. I found them a waste of time. They had my complaint in pending for more than maximum amount of days, then changed to completed without even contacting me.
I went to the CFPB afterwards. To be clear, they don't really do anything because they are just middlemen. I think it's mainly that financial institutions want to stay off their radar. My servicer responded at the speed of light with a resolution more than I asked for.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, i reached out to Nelnet and requested bills and payment history for 6 years for them and ACS. Will wait and review documentation. Btw, was Nelnet your servicer?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.