Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on paying back student loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on paying back student loan

I have a small student loan, the balance as of today is $1700. The interest rate is 6.55%. The minimum payment is $13.95. Estimated payoff date is 4/15/2024.

I have been making $25 monthly payments.

In the last 6 months, I have paid $150 but my balance has only reduced by about $78 Smiley Frustrated

My question is- is it worth it to even pay the extra few dollars a month? I feel like everything is going towards interest anyway ... 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on paying back student loan

Student loan debt is the worst type of you can haver so the sooner you get ride of it , the better.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 3
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on paying back student loan

Interest on student loans are compounded daily, so it never feels like you're getting ahead. But, you will, eventually.

Paying $25 each month should have that loan paid off about 2.8 years early off a 10 year term (plugging in your numbers into an amortization calculator, total time to pay with payments of $25 is about 7.2 years ). 

If you can afford to pay more, I would. $50/month would pay off even faster (in 3.2 years versus 10).

Hope that helps.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.