cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After BK7 student loans are reporting $0 balance and "included in Chapter 7" status.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

After BK7 student loans are reporting $0 balance and "included in Chapter 7" status.

I have been paying my student loans regularly throughout the bk7 process ($270 a month) and suddenly checked my credit reports to see that Nelnet is reporting them as $0 balance and included in bk7. I thought student loans don't get included in chapter 7 and would require a special hearing.  

I wouldn't complain if my $49000 loan was written off, as it was a major cause of much of my other problems, but this all seems strange.  I took a 40 point credit rating hit for the write off, which again, I can live with for the trade, but I also don't want to be in trouble if I stop paying off a loan I no longer owe on.

Any advice or thoughts on this? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: After BK7 student loans are reporting $0 balance and "included in Chapter 7" status.

You should speak to your bankruptcy lawyer about this.  I don't know the exact process, but sometimes student loans are initially included in the bankruptcy and only removed once they are found to be ineligible for discharge.  Are these private or federal loans?  Ultimately, you may need to contact the servicer to figure out why they took the action they did, but you should involve your lawyer in any contact with your creditors at this point.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: After BK7 student loans are reporting $0 balance and "included in Chapter 7" status.

They are privately funded loans and I have contacted my lawyer.  The issue I am having is that I have continued to pay them throughout the BK7, but I took a 40+ point credit rating hit because they were included in the BK7 filing.  

In my current situation, the points dont really matter all that much, so its more a problem of not knowing what is happening with that loan.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.