Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any suggestions for getting a student loan with a credit score of 600

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any suggestions for getting a student loan with a credit score of 600

My daughter is starting college in september and I am trying to get a student loan for her. I am rebuilding our credit, we do have a bankruptcy on our credit that was discharged in 2013.

I would appreciate any suggestions

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
SCF
Valued Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for getting a student loan with a credit score of 600

Your daughter should visit her school's financial aid office to discuss options for paying for school.  She should start by exhausting any grants or scholarships, and then use federal student loans to cover as much as possible.  These loans come with a variety of protections and forgiveness options that make them much more attractive than private loans.  After that, you may want to help her out by taking out a Parent Plus loan.  There is a credit check associated, but it isn't as stringent as most private lenders.  If you aren't able to borrow Parent Plus loans, she will be able to take on additional unsubsidized federal loans.

If all of that still won't cover the cost of her schooling, you may want to spend some time considering whether her degree is a good financial investment.  It may very well be, but private loans are not an easy burden for new grads without an earning potential to match their debt.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.