cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else go back and forth on payoff strategies?

tag
radfam
Frequent Contributor

Anyone else go back and forth on payoff strategies?

I can't be the only one.  I feel like I flipflop between committing to an aggressive payoff strategy versus minimums on IBR for 25 years of qualifying payments until the remaining balance is forgiven.  I have 121K and my spouse has 51K, all federal SLs.  Our combined income/assets is in the 250k range, but we have five children at home.  My loans are consolidated, his are not.

Some days, like today, I think a hyper-aggressive payoff tactic (3.5 years) would be so much better than being saddled with monthly minimum payments essentially for the rest of my life.  I'm 36 now, and will be into my late 50s/early 60s before IDR payments could be considered for forgiveness.....if whatever sitting US President at that time still even has a program for forgiveness that many years down the road.  An aggressive payoff would require us to live on one income, tightly pulling back things we do as a family (i.e. eating out, extracurricular activities, gym membership,  unnecessary home services such as cable and internet, etc.).

Other days, I think staying on IDR forever and paying monthly minimums is the right answer.  Living life in the moment, yada yada yada.  Which is basically what I've been doing the past 5 or so years.  Minimums on IDR, forebearances, etc.  We've never tried to pay more than the minimum balances for student loans.

TL/DR:  Pay off six figure student loans in aggressive tactic or ride it out on IDR and just count on SL payments being on my tab for the rest of my life.  Anyone else go back and forth on how to proceed with that high SL Debt?

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Anyone else go back and forth on payoff strategies?

I used to all the time, but honestly, I'd rather just pay them down as fast as possible, pay as little interest as possible, and if everything gets forgiven later because of whatever administration, politics, gov't changes happen, congrats to those that get the pay off!

Will I be a little miffed, sure, I coulda saved the money.  But ultimately, I'd rather be guaranteed debt free by my own hands than wait on a "what if?" at the hands of officials I can't control.

I'm a bit older than you (43) and I just want the bleepin' things paid of already.  I am lucky, I can afford it, even if it means no new widgets for a while.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 2 of 5
radfam
Frequent Contributor

The desire to have them paid off and GONE is about equivalent for my desire to own a home again.  I think that's why I go back and forth so much.  Some days, home ownership prevails, which puts me into auto-pilot-IDR for student loans.  Other days, like today, I think an aggressive plan to pay them off would be so much more beneficial.  It would put home dreams on hold for now, but would put us in a better place financially in 3-5 years.  

Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 3 of 5
calyx
Super Contributor

What about a half and half strategy?  Pay extra, though not aggressively, towards your loans and then save what you can for your dream home?
Set bars?  switch back and forth between paying extra (save up to X amount and go back and forth on who you pay, I'm thinking about this.  5k to one, then 5k to the other kind of thing)?

At this point, my car loan is higher than my SLs, and I sometimes think about switching gears on paying, but ultimately I'm just going to kill the SLs because they make me annoyed (and the interest is higher).

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you mention strategies, I would assume either had a benefit. I can see where IDR might have a short-term benefit, but I think it would have long-term consequences. Right now, unless your income changes drastically, or the bulk of your income (near $250k? I'm confused with combination with your assets) is your spouses & you file separately, you will not have anything to forgive after your IDR payments. This means you'll be eating quite a bit of interest.
Now, the IBR (are you sure it's the IBR plan and not the ICR plan with your consolidation?) plan can still be a great plan in terms of the minimum payment is just that. You can always pay more. You just have to make a commitment to do so. The standard payment plan is a great plan for high-income people as long as you still have wiggle room and are committed to never missing a payment. You can do the same under an IDR payment plan. There is no need to cut everything out of your life in order to try to repay your loan. Retirement, savings, emergency fund, etc. are still a great idea to put money towards. You'll still pay off your loan quicker and avoid so much interest.

There's also the issue that even if you were to get something forgiven, you might not be able to claim insolvency to offset the tax issue.

If you want to get some numbers to help make a comparison, the repayment Estimator is helpful.
https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/repaymentEstimator.action
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.