cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever have success consolidating private student loans?

tag
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone ever have success consolidating private student loans?

@Miscellamy wrote:

I'm in the process of consolidating a few small private loans. The bulk of my loans are federal and I consolidated those five years ago, but I still have about $15,000 on two private loans. 

So far, the best options appear to be SoFi and Darien Rowayton Bank, but they both have limitations. For SoFi, you have to have gone to a school on their list. For DRB, you have to have earned one of a short list of degrees (from their website: MBA, Law, Medical/Dental (post-residency), Physician Assistant, Advanced Degree Nursing, Pharmacist, and Engineering graduate programs). As it happens, I qualify for both, so I've applied to both, passed the credit check on both, and I'm waiting to see which offers the better deal. The interest rates are pretty competitive. 

Anyway, hope you're able to take advantage of one of those. 

Thanks for the update! I would qualify too. I tried SoFi, but my credit's a little low for them. It's moving up, but it won't be there for at least another six months. I'll try DRB. 

Right now I'm deciding between waiting out one of those programs, or direct-consolidating to go for the ten-year forgiveness thing. I'm a government attorney, but I would consider private practice later, so.... we'll see. 

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 12
Miscellamy
Contributor

Re: Anyone ever have success consolidating private student loans?

@ACG23 wrote:

Thanks for the update! I would qualify too. I tried SoFi, but my credit's a little low for them. It's moving up, but it won't be there for at least another six months. I'll try DRB. 

Right now I'm deciding between waiting out one of those programs, or direct-consolidating to go for the ten-year forgiveness thing. I'm a government attorney, but I would consider private practice later, so.... we'll see. 

I'm also a government attorney! I'm five years in to my PSLF program (and don't intend to go anywhere before my loans are forgiven, unless it's another qualifying job). Tough call on your part. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.