cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone file a borrower defense claim recently?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone file a borrower defense claim recently?

Looking for any information on filing a borrower defense claim and if anyone has any recent success or helpful advice. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Anyone file a borrower defense claim recently?

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/borrower-defense

It seems to mainly apply to borrowers who attended certain schools and in certain situations, but it also applies to other circumstances and schools. What reason are you applying for?
I think you'll have a lot of difficulty with this because a certain person who's name shall not be named is holding up most of this type of relief, including PSLF, if I understand correctly. That's why there are lawsuits right now.
Despite this, I encourage you to apply. The most they can do is say no. You and your wife make too much to quality for forgiveness so this is a good backup plan. I would also suggest you read blogs and articles. Student Loan Hero is a great website. They can give you recommendations that may improve your odds. You should also go back and get as much paperwork as you can: transcripts, catalog of classes, receipts, student loan bills, any correspondence including with other schools.
Good luck
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/borrower-defense

It seems to mainly apply to borrowers who attended certain schools and in certain situations, but it also applies to other circumstances and schools. What reason are you applying for?
I think you'll have a lot of difficulty with this because a certain person who's name shall not be named is holding up most of this type of relief, including PSLF, if I understand correctly. That's why there are lawsuits right now.
Despite this, I encourage you to apply. The most they can do is say no. You and your wife make too much to quality for forgiveness so this is a good backup plan. I would also suggest you read blogs and articles. Student Loan Hero is a great website. They can give you recommendations that may improve your odds. You should also go back and get as much paperwork as you can: transcripts, catalog of classes, receipts, student loan bills, any correspondence including with other schools.
Good luck

Thank you.  My husband applied.  He has ample proof.  If a lawsuit is in his future, he's not afraid to take that route. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's a lawsuit right now. DeVos is in pretty big trouble, they even found her in contempt of court. So either the Dept of Education has to start processing the applications soon or face more consequences. I don't like their record right now though, because only 1% of PSLF actually got approved. Imo mass denial is the same as not processing.
We'll see what happens.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
There's a lawsuit right now. DeVos is in pretty big trouble, they even found her in contempt of court. So either the Dept of Education has to start processing the applications soon or face more consequences. I don't like their record right now though, because only 1% of PSLF actually got approved. Imo mass denial is the same as not processing.
We'll see what happens.

I've been following that for the most part.  So many people have been screwed by the Dept of Ed.  when it comes to student loans.  I've switched gears on teaching my kids what loans are worth applying for and which ones are traps (cough cough FASFA) and to include saving for future education or maintaining 4.0 to cover that cost. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually think the loans from the FAFSA are a good deal (not parent loans, student), at least for now with loan forgiveness. Where else can you be on so many different repayment plans, especially the income-driven repayment plans? And the deferments and forbearance options at times that you may have emergencies, a job loss. The interest rates are great. Don't get me wrong, they're not perfect. The government gives less of a care about it and lets a broken system (corrupt loan servicer) continue for decades. But those private loans can be worse. They are downright predatory.
We'll see what happens. I hope the lawsuits set a precedent for the future of financial aid. Dept of Education needs to be held accountable imo
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.