Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Article I read this morning

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Article I read this morning

https://www.thepennyhoarder.com/life/student-loan-servicers-changes/

Not sure if this is even something I can post. Mods feel free to delete if needed. Either way it seems important enough.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Article I read this morning

Thanks for sharing!

My loans are through Navient and I despise them honestly. Every month I pay extra, I have to call them after my auto pay goes through. Some reason the loans I pay extra on are considered late after the auto pay goes through. I call and they adjust everything but I don't trust them. I mean what exactly are they adjusting and they are of no help when you have questions. Anyways sorry for the little rant lol.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you about navient.I rehabbed the 7 loans i have with navient last year hopeing i would get all the lates removed from default.I didnt get them removed.I had 7 then after rehab i paid 2 of them off in full.From my research when i pay extra on the student loans i tell them which loan i want the extra money put on and specify that the extra amount of money i send is for the principal of a specific loan.If you dont specify what the extra money is for they do what they want with it,

Message 3 of 4
Tazman81
Established Contributor

Good Article.

I have Navient as well.  Although, I've not had any problems with may payments.  I do process mine differently than most do though.

1.  I am signed up for automatic payments.  But I only allow them to automatically withdraw the payment that is due.  This gives me the 0.25% discount in interest rates.

2.  For the amount over what's due, I make that payment manually at their website after my automatic payment is applied.  This allows me to identify which loan I want that over payment to go to.  This way the money is being directed the way I want it to be.

I have not consolidated my student loans.  I am paying mine off a bit differently.  Many people go for the loan with the higher interest rate, but I am paying off my loans with the lowest balance first.  Then when that loan is paid off, it makes the automatic payment deducted for #1 above decrease.  And I take that overage and apply it to the next loan with the lowest balance.

While this does cause a payment of more interest over paying off the loan with the highest interest rate first, it works for me as it allows me to decrease my "necessary" monthly expenses.

Current Score: Eq: 823 Tu: 830
Goal Score: Eq: 850 Tu: 850

Wallet: PenFed Power Cash 50k | AMEX Blue Cash (AU) 49.5k | Cap One QSMC 26.5k | AMEX Platinum NPSL | USAA Signature Visa 25k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.