cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a transferred student loan be removed early?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a transferred student loan be removed early?

I'm having trouble understanding what you are saying happened. Do you mean that you had an loan(s) that was with Navient, that you rehabbed and was sent back to Navient where you've currently been making payments on time? Or are you saying something else?
I don't think the loan would be marked as paid off if you're still making paymentson them. If the above is the case, what are specific grounds on which you think are valid to dispute the debt.

Overall, as those lates fall of of your report and you get more positive payment history (without more lates) under your belt you should see your score improve. I'm not quite sure why it would still be going down though after all these months. Is something else happening on your credit report?
Message 11 of 18
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Yes, based on what the OP said it seems these federal student loans were transferred to a different servicer. If that's the case these accounts will not fall off until (I think) 10 years after the loan has been paid in full. Note: a loan being transferred to a different servicer is different than a loan being paid and refinanced.

It sounds like these loans staying on OP's report isn't a bad thing. The lates may fall off earlier than the accounts do.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 12 of 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The Higher Education Act both requires the reporting of delinquencies on certain federal student loans, and exempts them from the normal credit report exclusion provisions of the FCRA until the loan is paid.

If the federal student loan is subject to mandatory reporting and is exempted from the exclusion provisions of the FCRA, then delinquencies will not be removed at their normal date of 7 or 7 years plus 180 days from initial delinquency, which also means they are not subject to any early exclusion.

Message 13 of 18
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

Alright, 3 accounts are showing on my credit report for two student loans, the two from the loan back in 2002-2003, and the new consolidated NAVIENT loan, which those two 2002-2003 loans have been consolidated to. The two 2002-2003 loans are scheduled to fall off next summer, while NAVIENT will be the only school loan on my credit report. Now having all 3 of those accounts being reported, the two 2002-2003 Dept of Ed accounts, and the NAVIENT account, which is those same two 2002-2003 accounts consolidated, feels like the same two accounts butting heads, two doing me bad and the consolidation of those SAME TWO doing me good. Picture a scale with a 50lbs. barrel of sand on one side, let's call this "POS", and two 25lb. buckets of sand on the other side, will call these "NEG". With both sides the same weight, the scale won't move. I need the "POS" barrel of sand because the keys to the house on the hill with the green picket fence, and the playground for the little kids I don't have, with the doghouse for the dog I do have. I can't reach it, the scale is too high and I need to get the barrel to me, but the way to do that is to remove the two 25lb buckets of sand. I just want to know if it's possible to remove those 25lb buckets early, or if I have to wait until next summer when my friend comes back with his latter so I can climb up to it. Sorry, I'm a figurative person. 😊😊
Message 14 of 18
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

I'm just going by what my TransUnion report says. It says it's scheduled to be removed next summer. Now the NAVIENT I don't expect to fall off for some years, this consolidation just started this year.
Message 15 of 18
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

Even if the same loans are being reported twice, by different lenders.
Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, I understand now. Like I said, mine were with a servicer that went out of business. It likely got removed because they weren't able to verify the debt. If your servicer is alive and kicking, there's no point in disputing it. Yes, I also give it unfair that when they move there school loans around, etc. It creates "duplicates." There's nothing to be done about it other than wait though. (PS love the labels for the bags!) They will fall off and your score will improve. In the meantime just make sure to make your payments on time. If you continue to stay financially responsible you'll get the house, kids, and doghouse in no time. :-)
Message 17 of 18
UpanotchJyg
Established Member

😂😂I had to find some way to humor it up a little.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.