cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you still get approved for Federal student loans if you sign up for a DMP?

tag
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Can you still get approved for Federal student loans if you sign up for a DMP?

I have no derogatories on my CR but my utilization is at 98% and I'm in some trouble with the credit cards.  I'm another example of how it's easy to rack up the debt and then get caught into paying around 2.5% of the balance each month and not making a dent in those balances.

Anyway, the DMP says I can be debt free in 4 years.  They will essentially lower the interest rates to a 3% average on all the accounts. I'd like to start this now instead of continuing to throw away money on high interest charges.

Here's my problem,

I'm still a student and I get Federal loans for school.  Will the DMP have any affect on securing those loans?

My score has been lowered because of the debt ratio but I have no derogatory entries.  My score is around 650 right now. I think the requirement to continue to get Federal loans is that your score has to be greater than 600, not in default, and no recent derogatories.  I don't remember it saying anything about DMP's and I don't think DMP's really lower your score but I'm not sure.

It will be disastrous for my degree if I don't get those Federal loans so I don't want to jeopardize that.  Any advice on the best way to proceed?

Thanks

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.